Valve Amps

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bopper, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Bopper

Oct 22, 2002
    Brighton, UK
    Does anyone know what the Fender Bassman 5F6A sounds like when used with a Double Bass?

Or has anyone used a Vintage Bass Amp that gave a good bass sound.

I currently use a Peavey MK1V 400w + BX115BW
    also sideman Para EQ (kills the feedback problems)
    Shadow Bridge Transducers.
    problem is that when I crank it up, the bass sound has too much mid+Treble

Playing in an original style Rockabilly band a valve amp would be a very nice touch.

Any help most welcome

2. I have played my Kay through my early 70's Plush tube head and a Fender 15. Definately pretty cool for Blues or Rockabilly, but it would suck for jazz. There is a guy I've seen playing around the Twin Cities in Blues\Jump bands that plays upright through an old Ampeg. These types of amps certainly don't offer a real acoustic tone, but it's cool for the right style I think.
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Tube guitar amps have a VERY non-linear respons with tons of second harmonic distortion. Great for crunch and tone, bad for fidelity. For upright you want hi-fi reproduction if you want the bass to sound like a bass. Tube amps are certainly capable of that- it's just that there aren't any tube amps in the music instrument amplification world designed for that linear, undistorted reproduction. Even most solid state bass amps are far from linear.
  4. I've been through a multitude of amps ( I manage a music store), and I've yet to find a tube amp that sounded good for upright. As well as the above poster's comments, they are generally too warm, a feature which is welcome for BG, but not that good for upright.
    Your Shadow pickup is one of the factors in your mid heavy tone. I had one for years, and ditching it was the best thing I've ever done.
  5. Bopper

Oct 22, 2002
    Brighton, UK
    Cheers guys,
    i may just try another type of pickup or maybe some kind of mic.

I use a mike in the studio ok
    But have not tried it at a gig

Thanks again.
  6. I use a Peavey Mk VIII with a Peavey 410 TX cab. To me this sounds much better than using the same amp with a 115 bw cab. Less top end and high mid. This is for a (loud) rockabilly band. I've also tried the MK IV amp and it's very similar, so you may get the same results.

I tried the 410 TX with the 115 bw. This is better than using the 15" alone but not as good as using two 410 TX cabs.

As a general observation I've found 10 inch speakers MUCH better with the upright, other than those metal Hartke speakers which are way too bright.

I've seen guys get good results with the old Fender Bassman 135. Hardly "Vintage" but it looks ok.

7. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Warmth = harmonic distortion. Thickens up the BG and guitar sound but muddies a clean UB sound. (Guys my age will remember the bands we were in back in the 60s when you ran the vocal mikes through the second guitar amp channel. Those first cheap Bogen PAs were a godsend...)

If you're playing with a band with a good PA, one of the best options is still to use a microphone and run direct to the PA. If you can get your own monitor mix, all the better.