Valve or not? 2, 4, 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Oct 5, 2004.

1. I am due to buy an amp (head unit).

I've heard a lot of guitarists stress the importance of valve driven amps, how important are valve amps on bass?

Also what impeadance should I go for? I have not got any speaker cabs as yet. But I thinks it's gonna be a 4X10 with a 1X15 at a much later date.

My budget is about £800 for the head unit.
  2. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Since I'm not handy with pounds-to-dollars conversion numbers, I'll just give you some info.

I've only seen a few tube amps be functionally rated at 2-ohms. Most go 4 or 8 ohms. 2-ohm tube amps I've seen were the original Sunn Model T (sounds good for bass) and I think some aguilar stuff. Perhaps Trace Elliot?

Either way, the ohms are not the major thing. If you find the amp you like, get your cabs rated so that they will best match up with your head of choice. For more info on ohms, look that for new "Ohms FAQ" thread.

I definately noticed a few cool things about the sound my Sunn Model T gave me. It can get pretty loud before getting gritty, or you can push it and get a nice fuzz sound. I'm using Flying 'C' (Svetlana) tubes. Sustain seems to be more natural and musical than with other amps I've used, which is something I didn't even expect.

Basically, tubes are worth it if they witll get loud enough for you. Lugging arround a 600 watt tube amp is nearly going to require a fork lift (exageration). Otherwise, you have "tube/ss hybrid" amps out there like Aguilars DB750 or some Ampeg Gear.