Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Van crash + SVT classic = Broken Tube?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 6, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    Hey all. So I just came back from a tour with my band. Anyone who feels a spiritual connection to their equipment will empathize wih me, because a nightmare has happened. My band's tour van flipped on the snowy and vacant roads of Kearny, Nebraska. Thankfully, no one got hurt.

I then hurried to look at my equipment. With my heart in my throat, I pushed away all of the scattared equipment and luggage. My Fender bass was FINE! Not a scratch, and it was still IN TUNE!!! My Ampeg 8 X 10 was a little cracked near the wheel, but I can easily fix in with a long screw. When I turned over my SVT classic, I saw that the gate in the back was dented and one of the three smaller tubes in the front was gone!

Now is this very expensive to fix? I JUST BOUGHT this thing before we left for tour and I can't believe this happened! I haven't brought it to the shop yet, but I'm really scared I did some extreme damage. Does anyone know how much it would be to replace one of those smaller tubes? I'm really new to tube amps, so I guess they're pre amp tubes (?). Thanks all!

xo tom:bawl:

2. Around $10 to $20 if all you did was crack a preamp tube. Look at the number on the tube or on the amp chassis, probably a 12AX7, you can get one at any fairly large music store, and it just plugs in. All you gotta do is line up the itty bitty pins correctly, there's a gap in the pins on the tube that must line up with a gap on the base.

Mail order tube prices are cheaper, but at a local guitar center they may try to ream you.

Hey I just re-read your post, did you say the tube was GONE? It's gotta be in there somewhere, it didn't just vanish, maybe it's OK and just needs to be plugged back in.

Glad nobody got hurt.

3. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey thanks for the info man! but like I said, the thing is gone! The glass pretty much exploded and there's nothing left but the "thing" that holds the tube (?). Bear with me, I know almost nothing about tube amps!

xo tom

4. OK, so part of the tube is still in the socket? You'll need a pair of needle-nose pliers to carefully pull the remaining section of tube out.

Why don't you carefully pull one of the other tubes out of its socket so you can see how the tube goes in and out? Then you will be able to see what all you need to make sure you get out of the tube socket.

This should be obvious: UNPLUG the amp before you do this. Merely turning it off doesn't count.

The tube number should be written on the metal chassis. It'll either be a 12AX7 or a 12AU7. According to the Ampeg site, there's 3 of the 12AX7's and 2 of the 12AU7's.

5. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks again bill! I don't trust myself with talking it apart. I'm just going to bring it to the shop. If I bring it to a mom and pop shop, it will probably be less expensive. I appreciate your help though! xo tom