Van Der Graaf Generator

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I'm just on the cusp of getting into this band big time. What I've heard has impressed me in a pleasingly oblong manner.
    Can anyone recommend some good albums?

Much obliged guv :hyper:
  2. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    All of them.

From the earlier period, Pawn Hearts. Later period, Still Life is good. Really, they are all good.
  3. Thanks.
    Most people advise me towards Pawn Hearts so I think I'll delve there. :)
  4. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    My favorites:

H to He
    Pawn Hearts
    The Quiet Zone - The Pleasure Dome
    World Record

Like relayer66 said there all good!

Don't for get to check out Peter Hammills solo albums as well. They are more hit and miss depending on your taste.
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Another album that you might enjoy is Robert Fripp's Exposure, Peter Hammil does some singing and you get John Wetton and Tony Levin on bass.

And +1 for Pawn Hearts and Still Life.
  6. Still Life is one of my all-time favourite albums, but the reunion album (Present) is great too, with some intense jamming on the second disc.
  7. I only have one album, " The Least We can do is Wave to Each Other" , excellent british prog with some inner quirk.
  8. wow, dead thread resurrection!

As my initial post suggested, I am now a fully fledged VDGG nut, kicking myself for missing the Albert HAll gigs and thrusting them on eveyone (they don't listen). Surprised at the actual amount of 'real' bass, there is quite a lot of Jazz bass action on Godbluff and Still Life.

Fave has to be Still Life.

All of us Pilgrims!
  9. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Wetton does not play on "Exposure", he is included on the "several who do not appear but who helped determine the final shape" list.
    Still, Levin's playing and sound on e.g. "Breathless" is very Wetton-y. Great album anyway.

Nitpicking time again, but I think Hugh Banton played a Fender Mustang on those albums and switched to Jazz for the "World Record".

My favourite's are "Godbluff" and "Still Life". "Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome" is different and sounds more like Hammill's noisier solo stuff from the same era but good nevertheless. Nic Potter plays some mean sounding bass on that and especially "Vital".

Hammill's "The Silent Corner & The Empty Stage" and "Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night" contain some VDGG like stuff and most of the players. His experimental late seventies albums "The Future Now" and "pH7" are also recommended. "
  10. Well It's definiteley the J on Still Life anyway. It's even pictured in the sleeve notes.
  11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So that's all Levin? That'll give me an excuse to listen again. It does sound very Wettony. Thanks.
  12. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    In the sleeve notes of the new remasters the pictures aren't always from the time the album was recorded. But you might be right.