1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VAN HALEN Removing Bassist From Songwriting Credits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dannoman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Check this out...

http://www.bravewords.com/news/72264

The Pulse Of Radio has issued the following report from Don Kaye:

VAN HALEN may have restored former bassist Michael Anthony's photos to the album cover art on the band's official web site, but it seems the group is still trying to remove Anthony from its history.

According to AntiMusic.com, Anthony's name has been taken off the writing credits for some of the group's music. An email to the site from a Van Halen fan explained, "On every single Van Halen song (with exception to the three new songs on the Best Of Both Worlds compilation), credits have always gone to Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and the lead singer who is featured on the song... However, during the credits of the film Superbad, which features the song 'Panama', the song is only credited to the two Van Halens and (David Lee) Roth! Anthony continues to get snubbed by his former band as they attempt to erase him from the history of the band."

AntiMusic checked the ASCAP database and learned that Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of the album 1984, on which 'Panama' originally appeared, although apparently he still gets credit on other Van Halen releases.

Anthony was reportedly forced to sign a reduced royalty contract in order to take part in the 2004 reunion tour with singer SAMMY HAGAR, according to Wikipedia.org. Anthony also apparently did not play on the three songs recorded for the Best Of Both Worlds collection.

A furor erupted online last week after photos of Anthony at the band's official web site were either removed or replaced by an image of guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, who will play bass on the group's upcoming tour. The photos were restored less than two days later.

Van Halen announced the details of its long-awaited reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth last Monday (August 13th). The tour kicks off on September 27th in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Pre-recorded tapes will reportedly be used to recreate Anthony's backing vocals on the tour.

That's just messed up... There is no way i will support them on this tour....

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'd like to hear Eddie's et al side of the story before crying foul. I went to VH's official site, but there ain't much there pro or con.

3. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    You've got to be kidding.

Which planet are these guys on?!?

4. FloydianAnimal

FloydianAnimal Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    that is all just ridiculous geez... :scowl:

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If the report is accurate, Eddie and his crew have been behaving like a bunch of petty, sulking, 14 year-old brats... :rollno:

(I don't listen to this kind of stuff anyway...)

MM

ImNotJoel likes this.
  6. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

That stinks.. Ozzy did the same thing to bassist Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake. They both contributed to the first two albums but they were remastered using different musicians, then their names were removed from the credits. There's a lawsuit going on as we speak.

7. Mr E. Van Halen definately has some issues

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They are a mockery of themselves at this point.

9. I love how they cite Wikipedia as a source :D . Still horrible news if his name is pulled from their songwriting credits, especially for tunes like Panama.

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    that's jacked.

11. Yet people will clamour en masse to sell out the shows (if they happen), in a vain effort to relive their youth and because they feel VH is still vital... kinda like I felt about the Police reunion tour, only they're still pretty awesome.

I say if it isn't the whole original lineup, it's a mockery and a rip off.

theduke1 likes this.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I find it silly when bands have whole band songwriting credit for everything they do. Let the people who really wrote the songs get the credit. Two bands that I've been in did that and I hated it and rallied against it both times. Truth be told M.A. probably deserves a lot less songwriting credit than he has. And no, IMO a signature bass line or drum part or other arrangement tweak does not deserve a writing credit.

13. That's just wrong.
    What did M. Anthony do to make Van Halen hate him so much anyway?

14. I think they've been a mockery of themselves for a while now!

I wouldn't attend a VH show if the tix were given to me. Has nothing to do specifically with MA either. It's just the ridiculousness of the entire *reunion* is sad and pathetic.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I see your point, truly. However, if they didn't want M.A. to have credit on songs where he may have merely contributed a signature bass riff or whatever, they should not have given him credit in the first place. It is wrong, and petty, of them to now remove a credit that was given in better times. It shows immaturity on their parts.

I've never been a big Van Halen fan. A couple of songs, yeah, but for the most part, I'm not a fan. My husband is, though. (He grew up in suburban Houston and drove a Camaro, so he was required to be a V.H. fan...LOL!) He wants to go see them when they come this way. I was going to go with him, but, frankly, I'd rather not give my money to people who take back what they give because of a grudge, ya know?

Cherie

16. I think the worst thing about Van Halen now is that Eddie's son is playing bass. I know that with the name of the band it fits, since he's a family member, but I would have no interest in seeing some kid playing bass on stage with a legendary rock band, regardless of talent level. It just seems so gimmicky to me.

17. Well said.

18. it's not even so much about credit where credit is due, they just don't want MA getting any more royalties.

Losers. petty, greedy losers. If anything, I'd file a cease and desist to the VH brothers if they try to use the backing vocals...and file for royalties as a hidden performer for each and every show they perform and use them in.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    What a bunch of tarts! :rollno:

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cherie, I agree. Once you've made the choice to assign songwriting credits, even if it's arbitrary, you can't go baak and change history. Lennon and McCarney had a similar silly arrangement, and they stood by it.

My point was that I think it showed simialr immaturity to assign whole-band writing credits in the first place.