Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Van Morrison joke

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ok, he's not a bassist but I am so here's the joke:

My friend at work: "Van Morrison is supposed to be a real nasty, miserable guy."

Me: "You'd be the same way if you had to play Brown Eyed Girl every gig."

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! But guess what? Van Morrison doesn't play Brown Eyed Girl at every gig. I don't think he plays it at all anymore. He's nasty and crabby for other reasons.

However, he's crabby in a good way that I really enjoy. One night, he was on the Letterman show singing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" with Sinead O'Connor, and she looked extremely nervous and her singing sounded like it. Van was trying to get her to loosen up and she just wouldn't, so he's getting in her face and singing stuff like "Blah blah blah" at her and pretty much gave up on her and just made a mockery of the whole thing. I laughed my butt off! Ever since then, I love the guy.

3. So why exactly is he so moody anyway? Is it that people only remember him for his early hits, or what exactly?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Actually Van has had quite the career renaissance over the past few years. His albums chart very well on the jazz charts and I think he's been nominated for a couple Grammys. He's just one of those crabby drunken Irishmen.

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Speaking as a crabby drunken irishman I represent that remark :p

Seriously though Van the man had some seriously great tunes in his early days (check out the "it's too late to stop now" live album..cracking stuff..nice bass playing from David Hayes as well).

but yeah he is one grumpy f&%$er

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    His rendition of Just Like a Woman blows Dylan's out of the water, IMO.

Who doesn't love a grumpy Irish drunk? :D

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey all of you stereotyping Irish.Please stop you are only contributing to the stereoptype of ignorant americans or canadians.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    im irish and no offence taken .
    as for van being a grumpner , wouldn't you be if most of your peers were dead and you were surrounded by 20 year old
    half-wits who were allways right ?

no offence to 20 year old half-wits

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, get over it. It was just a joke.

10. I didn't know Irish folks liked to drink :rolleyes:

11. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    How does the saying go....

"An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can lay on the ground, hold onto a blade of grass, and not fall off the face of the earth"

...or something like that. :p

12. He won't play the one song that his adoring fans come to hear?!! What a prick!!! :D

Ritchie Blackmore is reputed to be not the nicest guy in the world either. Maybe too many nights of playing Smoke on the Water, or hearing it butchered in guitar stores.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Van's adoring fans don't come to hear Brown Eyed Girl. His casual fans do.

14. I went to see him in Toronto last summer, and the show was good, but he certainly comes off as a bit of a dick. Not a word was said during the show, he only quietly said "thank you" right at the end an didn't do an encore. My father in law has seen him before and said it was exactly the same thing. Can't remember if he did Brown Eyed Girl or not.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He just got fined for not performing long enough at a concert in Bonn, along with Joss Stone and Diana Ross.
    What's with these people that they can't even perform 90 minutes for the money they're getting?

Feeling miserable?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I agree. I freaking hate it when a headliner does less than 90 minutes. Devo is one of my all-time favorite bands, but I'd be hard pressed to pay the $65 a ticket they're getting just to see them play an hour. They even re-learned a couple old songs they haven't played for a while and they still only do an hour. They just drop a couple other tunes.

However, ever since I started playing oldies shows, I have come to find out that if one of those oldies acts plays an hour, you're lucky. A lot of them might only do half an hour. Then again, there's like 5-10 acts on those shows so I can sort of understand it. And at one show I did, the headlining act played longer than an hour and the people in charge of the venue got really upset because they ended up having to pay everyone overtime and they lost money on the show because of it. So go figure.

17. God invented Whsikey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world :D

And it's worked pretty damn good.

Ever notice that us Irish folk are one of the few peep's who don't get offended by our stereotype? We embrace the hell out of it.

18. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well as I am Irish through and through I resent it because most people who say it don't know what they are talking about.We can't be that bad when we are one of the richest countries in the world!!

19. As far as short performance times, I've heard Cheap Trick is like that as well, usually only playing for about an hour tops.