Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Van stolen, with speaker cabs inside....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Showdown, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Wednesday I was leaving for band practice and went out and found my parking space empty! Someone had stolen my van, and I had already put my speakers in. Luckily I hadn't put my bass or amp in yet. The van was locked, parked right in front of my townhouse, in broad daylight (about 6PM when there were lots of people around). I lost a Carvin 210 cab, 2 Carvin PA mains and their stands, and 2 guitar stands (and of course the van).:mad: :mad: The contents of the van were covered under my homeowners policy, but the van just had liability, so it wasn't covered. I live in a nice neighborhood, too. Be very careful, there are low-life scum everywhere. And get full coverage on your vehicle, even if you only use it for band stuff...

Just needed to rant...

2. Damn man, that blows. Homeowners and/or renters insurance is a must for musicians. Still a big PITA though. well now you can replace the Carvins with Edens :D

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Pit-Bull. Just find a way to safely and legally leave him/her in the car. Now that's what I call insurance!

Really though, I hate it for you. Good Luck.

Stu

4. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My insurance has a $500 deductable, which is about half what I lost. Being short on money, I ordered a Nemesis 210, but it won't make it here in time for our gig tomorrow night, so I'm stuck using a crappy sounding 1x15 cab that I have. Luckily our singer has PA speakers we can use from her karaoke business, but they are kind of small (10s). I'll use the insurance money to buy new ones (but I'm not sure how I'll haul them around with no van).

5. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The police think they may recover the van, because vans are usually stolen to use in burglaries, then abandoned. I guess the speakers were just a bonus for them...

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Maybe the thief will return it once he realizes those huge speakers aren't for the vans stereo system.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Rattlesnake in the truck toolbox? At least I'm not the only vigilanty around here!:D

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I couldn't agree more. My roommate had a pitbull/rotweiller mutt last year. It was the nicest dog in the world once it realized you were cool, but if it thought you were threatening she'd start barking and growling. That dog could've easily eaten a few grown men.

9. disconnect the battery cables. van can't start without it.

Thats what I do if I'm leaving my truck left unattended somewhere for a long time.