Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vancouverites - Good bass guitar teachers???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Hey, I'm looking for a bass guitar teacher. I live in Maple Ridge but I'm willing to travel if necessary.

I'm looking for a teacher who can teach left/right hand technique and music theory. I would like to start with blues and later move on to other styles, maybe funk or jazz. I'm looking at the $20 per half hour range.

I have been playing for about 7 years (started when I was 17) but have stagnated over the last 5 years. I know basic music theory but I don't have any formal bass guitar instruction.

Suggestions, number one?

2. Bump bump bump...

If possible, help out a brother...if I don't find a good bass teacher, I may have to...gulp...take guitar lessons. (My village is full of really kick-ass guitar players but NO BASS TEACHERS!!!)

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Try PM'ing or e-mailing XavierG, he's in that area and if he doesn't teach (he SHOULD from what I've heard on his mp3's) he probably knows a good teacher.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Thanks for chipping in Nikki, and based on YOUR mp3 he posted a while back, he is an excellent teacher - and you're an excellent student as well! :D

5. Hey, cool. Thanks for the heads-up. I sent an email to him a couple of days ago and wasn't going to post something until he replied...well, that'll be a while.

NikkiG, I was wondering, where does he teach? I ask this 'cause I live in Maple Ridge (yes, the village out in the east). I also do martial arts so I have a limited evening schedule...

Can you give me some more information about his school?

Thanks.

6. Rock 'n roll and Kung Fu Fighting...I like to say those are my two favourite things...

Ack...Richmond is my arch-nemesis. I always get lost and it's SO far away.

Could you do me a favour? Could you ask your dad to recommend some good bass teachers who are a little more east than Richmond?

So far, all I have found from Coquitlam east are guitar teachers who teach bass.

7. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I am in New West and am considering starting to offer lessons, I would be more than willing to give you at least one free lesson, just to help myself make the decision, I have studied with Rene Worst, Rick Kilburn and others in the past as well as playing for 17 years. Please feel free to send me an email.

8. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I think having a get together would be great specially if we can get Mr. Mollerup to bring along some of his basses.

9. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    He's a great guy I attended the VBC last year and had a lil mini lesson with him which helped me with playing posture.

10. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    It was at VCC....Ed Friedland was there and there was a clinic with Alain Caron...

11. smakbass

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    yeah it was great, I was dissapointed there werent more Vancouver guys there