Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vanessa Williams, "Everlasting Love"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is a great album featuring Vanessa Williams redoing some great seventies songs, mainly ballads. Her bass players are really impressive. TB's Al Caldwell is on most of the cuts, his playing is understated, but really tasty. His one upbeat number is the old Brothers Johnson cut, "I'll be Good to You." What is nice is that he didn't replicate Louis Johnson's original line which had to me a more chromatic feel to it.

There are some other great bassists on this album too, particularly Will Lee and James Genus on acoustic and electric bass. Chek it out.

Finally Vanessa Williams can SANG!!! I knew she was good, but she really nails to ballads like "Never Can Say Goodbye," and Chaka Khan's "Everlasting Love."

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great Stuff!!!! I got mine last weekend. The whole thing shines. Al's got some killer groove and tone.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, it was a scalar feel.
    lE-F#-G-B-lA-G-F#-B-l etc.
    There may a chromtaic climb from "E" to "A". It's been awhile!

I always knew this girl could sing; what's this, an album of '70s material?
    (I always loved playing "Never Can Say Goodbye" & "Everlasting Love". Beautiful songs).

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm sure you're right JimK, I rarely know what I'm playing unless I sit down and analyze it. Get the album, it's great.