1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VanHalen Jump help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassMan99, Mar 29, 2009.

1. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Hope this is the right forum. My band recently started performing Jump by vanhalen. We dont rehearse. Home work and run thru at sounds check.
    The drummer and I both are having trouble trying to count out the break part where the guitar solo is. It seems pretty random as far as timing goes (the actual notes are no problem).
    Anyone here play this song and have some advice? I would appreciate it.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's what I hear in the guitar solo section of "Jump". That's how I've played it with my band. Works fine.

Jumpguitarsolosection.

P.S.: Notice that the piece is in the key of C major but on the guitar solo it modulates to Db and goes back to C on the following keyboard part.

3. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Thanks Alvaro, I am having trouble with the timing. Trying to find a way to count it out, so the drummer and I can lock in. The notes are not the problem.

4. there you got the notes, the rests, and the timing.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

6. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Thanks Alvaro! I am not much on notation but will try. Also listen to midi. Out of town till sunday. Will post when back. Thanks again.

7. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    one and two and three and four and ... ad infinitum:bassist:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah...it's called "subdividing" the beat. You can count a straight 1-2-3-4 through it, or you can count 1-a-2-a-3-a-4-a and get a better feel of where the notes will land. It's a complex little rhythm, but if you count the subdivided way and figure out on which part of the beat each note lands on, you'll figure it out.

9. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Exactly! You did a much better job explaining what I meant!:)

10. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    Thank you for all the advice. I have been doing the 1 and 2 and count. I though there was more variation than that. Its like they hesitate on certain beats. I think we (drummer and I) will continue with that straight 1 and 2 and count.
    It seems VanHalen often throws these small timing changes/variations in.

One more thing is I am not hearing the octave notes like the tab and notation above shows. Is it really low in the mix? I tried both speakers and headphones on my practice setup. Not hearing it.

Thanks again. Will be away till sunday night so forgive me for not getting back before monday or so.

11. Most music doesn't always fall right on the beat, but varies around it. Music where everything is dead on the beat tends to sound like elevator music,

or dodgy singer/guitarist midi backing tracks:bag: