Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vanilla Changes [Ralph Patt]

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by DB66, Feb 1, 2006.

1. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I've used this website from time to time to look up simplified changes for songs that I'm having a hard time learning, some musicians I've referred to the site say that the chord changes are wrong. What's your opinion of this site?

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

2. i've used this one alot too, some of the tunes are bang on, but careful a good chunk are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Why not get a copy of the Real Book?

I'm not sure I understand why you want stripped down versions of chords. If its because reading chords such as D7#5#9 are intimidating, then just leave off all the numbers other than the 7 and go with that.

Help me to understand why you would want vanilla changes.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    'Pocket Changes' is a good, simple and easy to read book of changes with no melodies. Seems reliable to me when I check it against records, and gives the original changes, sometimes with bop substitutions in brackets. Plus its small, and they lay it out sensibly (ie generally 4 bars on a line, all the same typeface)

There was some discussion on a different thread on here about what was meant by the use of #9 and b9 in Pocket Changes. I'm now convinced that it gives #9 in the same places some people write alt.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Pocket Changes was compiled and published by Mike Tracy, the head of our jazz department here at Louisville. No book of changes is dead on because in any written account of music in the aural tradition,the choice of which source to transcribe is a subjective matter. That said, I like this one as a good basic starting point except for the odd tune here and there. He uses #9 as synonymous with alt, and the chord symbols are simplified as much as possible, allowing the player to "season to taste".

And I agree that the layout is wonderful, and perhaps the best thing about the book - most of the tunes are laid out in such a way that they look like they sound in terms of phrase structure.