1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage 600 - what is this beast?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nastyguard, Mar 26, 2013.

1. nastyguard

nastyguard

Dec 17, 2011
    Hello wonderful people of talkbass. After lurking around the forums for God knows how long, I've decided to post my first post.

Basically, there is this bass I'm interested in buying, since the only thing I have at the moment is a Peavey Grind V (with pickups swapped to 2x EMG 40Hz (what an idiot I was)), so I decided to get something a bit more standard.

Well, since the local online auction/sale's ad website is very limited most of the time in terms of basses, the best I could find after some searching is this Vantage 600, which isn't exactly what you'd call standard, but at least it has 4 strings and a P pickup, which is the sound I'd like to get with my next bass.

So does anybody know anything about this bass? In terms of sound, comfort, because until now I haven't even heard of this brand let alone this bass. Would you recommend buying it used with a case for around $300? (Which is considered pretty cheapish/midrange here)

Thanks in advance!

image.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Classic Matsumoku.
    Expect great construction quality, heavy weight and deep ballsy tone.
    For 300 it's a pretty good deal.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Pounce on that.

4. I used to have one very similar to this in the early 90s, and kind of wish I still did. Heavy, but awesome and versatile tone and good neck. I replaced the pups with DiMarzios.

I'd get it in a heartbeat.

5. I bought one in disrepair last year for $80. I gave it a good setup & flipped it for $150. :D

6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  7. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I've got the same model. That one looks really good shape and case seems good shape as well.
    It's well made .. Plays well
    It's medium scale. It's worth $300 but they usually go a bit cheaper.

8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    Very nice example of a Matsomuko made Quality bass. I would grab that on up, IMHO.

9. I had that exact bass in the early '80s and mistakingly traded it for a Kramer Duke. I was stupid. That's a nice bass and worth $300 w/case.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Mine is twice the beast
    a4vez6.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Vantage basses are pretty common in Canada IME and pop up all the time.

I would say $300 is ok if you love it, but it is a $150-200 bass IMO.

12. Get it! Before it's gone! Yes, it's from Matsumoku - the same makers of the Aria Pro II and such other bad-ass Japanese basses. I got a blonde version of the same bass for ~$100 on Ebay 10 yrs ago. The bridge needed replacing, and it turns out the Gibson EB0 and similar is a direct fit. Last weekend I dropped in some Dimarzio P127 P/ups and a new set of flat-wounds.... My previous set of Fender flats stayed on for nearly 10 years, and though a lot of tone was lost, the bass still had some grunt.