1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage 650B Double P yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Yay!

43 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Nay!

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Meh...

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fair condition with a case for $200
    [​IMG]

Also, any ideas as to what the four knobs and one switch do. Any info, experience, critiques would be much appreciated.

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Probably weighs 11 lbs but those sound pretty good.

3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    go for it,it's sweet little playable bass. mine has different pups config and its bolt on, but I guess they re pretty similar. that was my first bass,I still got it.
    btw. mine weigh no more than 7 or 8 pounds.

1_zps18f06e92.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I messed around with a few of those back in the day. I remember them being well made a good sounding. As long as the neck is in good shape for $200 you can't go wrong.

I guessing here but the controls are probably vol & tone for each pup and the switch is pickup selector.

5. Precisely -- the ol' Les Paul setup.

If the case is the Vantage hardshell case, 200 is a steal. In any case, if the bass checks out to your satisfaction, that's a fair price, IMO.

Only downsides are: it might be neck-divey and I think it's a 3-point bridge—can't adjust individual string height.

I worked in a shop that sold tons of Vantages of this vintage (late 70s, early 80s). They were good values. There's a Vantage bass that's a step up from this one that I wouldn't say no to—I like to call it a poor man's Alembic.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Git on it, man!

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So there's volume for each pickup and a pickup selector? Seems a bit redundant, but what the hell. The yays have it. Pics to come tomorrow.

8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

I would say NAY, personally. I had one, and I hated it. It had neck dive from hell and weighed about 12 pounds. It sounded just fine, but so it goes. For the price, you can always sell it again, so I guess that's a qualified Yay.

9. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'd say "Yay" for a double P just to try it. $200 isn't a lot of scratch for a unique bass. Also I'd take out the frets and then say "Mwah".

10. Buy it. I would.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah for $200, why not?

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Worst case scenario you sell it to one of us and break even! ;)