Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vantage any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kristin Joy, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Any of you guys hear of a Vantage? Friend of mine has a decent but beat up fretless at a pawn shop. He was selling it for $350 but wants to cut it to $150. There's loads of new basses I can get (fretted) for that amount maybe a little more, but if this is any good I'd get it since I want a fretless. It sounded fine to my inexperienced ears, felt good too.

Whaddya think?

2. Kristin,

When I went from guitar to bass guitar as my main instrument back in 1982, a Vantage was my first bass. It has served me well (I still have it in my collection). If my memory serves me correctly, I think I paid around $200 for it then.

$350 is certainly way too much for it, though. $150 - well, that's not a horrible price, but I'd be willing to bet you could talk him down to $125.

Make sure the neck is fairly straight, mine had some bowing problems. If it feels good and you like the sound, it should be a good bass for you.