Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vantage Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stevenmc, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Stevenmc

Stevenmc

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi! I am completly lost. I bought a Four String Vantage Bass from my friend for $20. The electronics were shot so I replaced the pickups with Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounders. Other than that. The guitar is all original. I would like to do some more repair work to it, just to make it comfortable and customed for me, but I don't want jump in before I know what I am messing up. Basically, I have been trying to find out what this thing is worth, but to no avail. It is like it is the only one in the world or something. If anyone can help I would be very grateful. Thanks!

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Check out therathole.org . There's not a lot of info out there about these basses, but it may help. :)

3. Vantage basses and guitars were popular, Korean (?) instruments of the low-end/entry level price point. Lots and lots of them in Australia in the 80's.

Don't quote me, but I have some vague memory that suggests they went on to become Samick.....

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My second bass in Junior High was a Vantage. Asian origin, decent bass but nothing spectacular. If I remember correctly, it was about $350 brand new in 1981. I wouldn't worry about the thought of it being a collectors item. It definitely isn't trash, but modding it won't ruin some super-collectors value.

5. im having the same problem IDing my vantage bass. check this thread with photos to see if yours is similar to mine http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186173&highlight=vantage
    if not can you post some pics?
    i dont have any problems with the actual bass it is a beautiful bass and has a tone to kill most fenders IMO :hyper:

6. Stevenmc

Stevenmc

Jun 30, 2005