1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vantage basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flakeh, Jun 24, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Has anyone heard of the brand 'vantage'? I saw a Vantage FV575B bass at a music shop going for 400$CDN. It was in pretty bad condition, and the deal looked shady. Are Vantage basses any good?

I'll post pics tonite when i get them.

2. forte

forte Inactive

Jul 7, 2006
    vintage series? by wilkinson? or at least they have wilkinson pickups.

i've played a couple precision vintages. i'd just go buy a new squier or used fender dude, and thats cheaper too. the new squiers are really good too.

3. If its Vintage, they arent anything too special. Never heard of Vantage tho.

4. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I have. They were around in the 80's. Just cheapie guitars and basses. Nothing special.

Yeah, new Squier VM's are OK, but watch out for extreme fret buzz. :rollno:

5. I've seen quite a few Vantages (both guitars and basses), they seem to have been popular in the eighties and look well made, but I haven't played one myself. Nor do I know anything about the model you mention.

What I do know is that Vantage made instruments in certain well known Japanese factories in the early eighties, and these are probably as good as anything else produced there in that era. More information about Vantage, and other brands, can be found here: http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html

B-Mac likes this.
  6. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Back in the day we wouldn't really bother with Vantage. I guess nowadays things are different and Vantage probably has it's fans.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I remember those, they were heavy and not bad sounding. That is not a good deal IMO as they weren't that special.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

But, in all fairness, that had more to do with brand snobbery than with anything else. As a poster above mentioned, many of them were made in the matsumoku factory and at least one of the models was a re-badged Aria (an SB, in fact).

godofthunder59 and gebass6 like this.
  9. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    the original Vantage bass were made in Japan and were copies of some of the Kramers of the era. They usually featured multilaminated neck thorugh construction and quite a few of them seem to have been equipped with Dimarzo pickups. Usually a P bass style pickup.

Later the Vantage name was bought by Samick and production was started in Korea. The styles of the basses changed but your would see both 4 and 5 string and bolt on and neck through construction. Some of the higher end Korean Vantages came with EMG pickups but most used pickups branded with the Vantage name.

The Korean basses are a basic "middle of the road" bass, not the best but very far from being the worst. They are as good as just about any bass coming out of Korea with the exception of basses like the Skylines and Tributes.

I had a Korean Vantage 5 string for many years. It was a bolt on with active P/J pickups finished in a dark transparent blue/green with black hardware. It played nice and sounded nice and was very well constructed fit and finish wise. I ended up selling it to my friend who was looking for a 5 string since I wasn't playing it at the time. He has been very happy with it.

10. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    It did! We all wanted USA Fender back then! Still, I've played my fair share of Vantage instruments and they never really stood out as anything special to me.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. The early Matsumoku ones were well made and basically good players. I have friend that has several of them. With some tweeking, new strings and an excellent setup he's turned them into excellent players. From what I've seen on the various forums, they have a growing fan base :)

12. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My first bass, 11 years ago, was a Vantage P-Bass....in hindsight I would have been much better off with the comparible offerings by Yamaha and Ibanez, the electronics were exceptionally bad, but hey it got me started. The one in the OP does not sound like a good deal however.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Vantage basses are not bad, but i would pass on this. You have alot of decent basses available new and used for that price.

14. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    An old friend mine bought an old Vantage P-bass off of his neighbor for like $100. It's actually a pretty good bass.

15. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    My first bass was a "vantage 325b" it had a pbass pickup and thats all i really remember.

16. TheB3Nut

TheB3Nut

Apr 26, 2007
    near Madison, WI
    I owned a Matsumoku-built VP795B (blue transparent with hippie-sandwich center) with a 3pc set maple neck and rosewood 'board for many years until it was stolen in a church break-in. It had a brass nut and bridge and two P pickups (possibly DiMarzios). It was a helluva player with a big, beefy tone, it was wonderful. No snob appeal at all, but a great instrument all the same.

Every time I go back to Battle Creek I hit the pawns in the off chance of seeing it...but I hold out little hope of ever seeing it again. I wonder if it still has the Ford sticker stuck to it...

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. forte

forte Inactive

Jul 7, 2006
    hey dude learn how to play bass.

18. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Vantage was a tier 3 brand back in the 80s, don't know what they are now. For $400 CDN you can buy a lot of bass these days. Please don't buy this for $400 - maybe $100.

19. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    There was a Vantage P/J 4 string that I used at an open blues jam a few times. It didn't sound half bad but I never enjoyed the way it played.

20. I had a black neck-through with the split P-pickup; it was given to me while I was between basses when I just arrived in FL and had to gig right away to get by; it was--and is--a nice little meat & potatos instrument that took an incredible beating and never let me down or proved difficult to play. It's still what I play outdoors here in the summer when rain is likely.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021