Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vantage Neck-Trough?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 22, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, I was at the local used guitar shop, checking out if anything came in, and I saw a nice looking Vantage bass. I know nothing about Vantage. It's neck-through with a seven piece neck, made of maple and what looks like mahogony maybe, with the same mahogony-ish wood for the body wings. It has a passive PJ setup. I played it through a SWR WorkingMan's 12, and thought the tone was a little thin, but that might be from the amp. Not sure. But it plays like a dream! It needs a little bit up setup work, it buzzes a little bit past the 12th fret. There are a few dings here and there, but otherwise it's looks ok. But, as I said before, for some reason this bass and my hands just flow together. Oh, and all gold hardware. There's a little scratchiness in the pots, but I can clean those or get new ones.

So how bout it? Anyone have a Vantage? Know of them at all? Good, bad, will it fall apart? It's $349 on the tag but I could probably get him down tot 300 cause of the dings on it.

2. my first bass was a Vantage P bass copy. I didn't like the sound or feel of mine, however the thing was a workhorse. I played it for 3 years with no problems until I could afford something new. I say if it feels right to you go for it. But there are better basses out there, albeti at maybe a higher price and not as fitting to you feel wise.

Just my $0.02