1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage Neck-Trough?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 22, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, I was at the local used guitar shop, checking out if anything came in, and I saw a nice looking Vantage bass. I know nothing about Vantage. It's neck-through with a seven piece neck, made of maple and what looks like mahogony maybe, with the same mahogony-ish wood for the body wings. It has a passive PJ setup. I played it through a SWR WorkingMan's 12, and thought the tone was a little thin, but that might be from the amp. Not sure. But it plays like a dream! It needs a little bit up setup work, it buzzes a little bit past the 12th fret. There are a few dings here and there, but otherwise it's looks ok. But, as I said before, for some reason this bass and my hands just flow together. Oh, and all gold hardware. There's a little scratchiness in the pots, but I can clean those or get new ones.

So how bout it? Anyone have a Vantage? Know of them at all? Good, bad, will it fall apart? It's $349 on the tag but I could probably get him down tot 300 cause of the dings on it.

2. my first bass was a Vantage P bass copy. I didn't like the sound or feel of mine, however the thing was a workhorse. I played it for 3 years with no problems until I could afford something new. I say if it feels right to you go for it. But there are better basses out there, albeti at maybe a higher price and not as fitting to you feel wise.

Just my $0.02