1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcfarland1337, Jun 16, 2012.

1. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Hey all, I haven't been around here much since I sold my last Vantage, but I still lurk and see what's up.

Anyhow, these showed up on the local buy/sell site. I rarely see Vantage basses 'out in the wild', and now there are two listings for sale locally.

I have no relation or affiliation, just passing it along:

$450 · Bass

$280 · 1982 LEFT HANDED Vantage Avenger BASS AV-325B

The VP710 certainly pushes all the right buttons for me.

[edit: remember these are listed in Canadian dollars]

Baa likes this.
  2. Chris Ogard

Chris Ogard

Apr 5, 2018
    Hello. Can anyone educate me on vantage medium scale basses? Model numbers? I know the witch bass 650 b is medium scale. What else? Thanks!

3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I believe the VS600 B is also medium scale. I believe it differs from the 650 in that it employs a satin finish. There may be one or two other small differences but it has been a while since I have owned one so I couldn't say for sure.

I will have to scour through my old photo files...

4. I've taken it apart and cleaned it. I left the neck alone.. Found nothing for identification..

I really like it.. I don't know how to really play yet but I'll learn.

Anyhow random pics somewhat edited to show the colours.. It's transparent teal with purple outside like a burst..

I have parts coming namely a new bridge a 201b-4 which has the 5 fender mounts instead of the 4 and a brass nut as well as stuff to shield it. Oh and new pickups mainly for the stacked Jazz bass

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SiPz9vHykY6buYfQ6

5. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Hey Vantage owners! I just picked up a VP-710b (the dual P pickup model) and had a quick question about the controls.

How are the toggle switch and the volume knobs supposed to interact? With mine, it seems to work like this:
    1) Toggle in "up" position: top volume knob operational, bottom not
    2) Toggle in "middle" position: top volume knob operational, bottom not
    3) Toggle in "down" position: top volume knob not operational, bottom operational

Does this track with how this is supposed to work on these basses?

BTW I've only messed with it for a little while today, and I love how this bass feels already. It needs some TLC, as the fretboard is dirty, the bridge is suffering from the notorious bend, and E and G string were buzzing pretty badly (I was able to loosen the truss rod to take care of this a bit though), and there is some fret sprout. For a nearly 40 yr old bass though, I can't complain too loudly. Overall it's in really nice condition.

Vantage816X1088.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Abner likes this.
  6. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I have six VP710B'S and they all work like this:
    Switch up = top volume and tone
    Switch down = lower volume and tone
    Switch in the middle = all knobs "active"

CTBassGuy likes this.
  7. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks Baa; I was hoping you would answer, as I’ve seen your collection here. :D

Sounds like I might have a slight wiring job to do. I don’t think the rear pickup/lower knobs are being engaged when the toggle is in the middle position.

Any suggestions on fix/replacement for the bent bridge?

I know there are aftermarket Gibson bridges that have worked for others. There is also a Hipshot SuperTone that has worked for at least one person on Hipshot’s site (but with body routing), and a Babicz FCH, but that looks like it would need routing too.

8. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden

Always nice to be helpful to fellow Vantage owners :)
    I have changed the bridges on all of mine.
    I've bought new No-Name aftermarket and used. Both Gibson and Epiphone.
    They worked great!
    Only thing is you MUST use the old bridge saddles. The Gibson/Epiphone ones have different heights.
    And you need to change the three "poles", because the new bridge wont fit the old poles.

Paragon3 and CTBassGuy like this.
  9. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Excellent info, thanks Baa. That was just what I was looking for.

I’ll likely look for one of the AllParts bridges and go that route. They’re only about $50 or so vs over $100 for the Hipshot. I do like the idea of having the adjustable saddle height of the Hipshot, but don’t think it’s worth the extra money and having to potentially either route the body or put in a shim for allow it to fit.

Good tip on needing to use the original saddles; guarantee I would have been fighting that for a while...

As to the “poles”, I assume you mean the bushings (metal posts that are pushed into the body) and then the screws that are threaded into those, yes? I’ve seen a couple of Youtube videos that give different, but clever, examples of how to do it:

(This one has some “PG13” language)

10. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    It's not easy being swedish and try to find the right words :)
    You don't have to change the bushings, only the screws
    I've also considered the Babics or similar, but the "hole" under the bridge and the problems that might come from that has deterred me. And that it might change the tone...

CTBassGuy likes this.
  11. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    No worries; your choice of words is perfectly fine, I just wanted to make sure I fully understood. I had the privilege to work with some members of the Swedish Army about 15 yrs ago, and those guys spoke better English than most of my fellow Americans I know. :laugh:

Great to know only the screws need to be changed; sounds like a pretty easy replacement then.

Thanks for all the info Baa! It’s been a great help. I’ll post new pics when all the work is done on my 710B.

Baa likes this.
  12. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    Looking forward to pictures.
    That's my favourite color scheme of the six possible variations.
    Natural, red or brown body with either beige or black plastic.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  13. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Well, I have the VP-710B refurbished now and it plays great. Pics below.
    Things I had to do:
    1) General cleaning and oil the fretboard (it took 4 coats!)
    2) Replace the bridge; $34 from Reverb
    3) New strings: Rotosound 77 flats (man do they thump!) with truss rod adjustment for the higher tension
    4) Schaller straplock buttons and new felt (the old felt was fossilized; hard as a rock).

I didn't have to have the fret ends filed, as once I left in a humidified room and oiled the fretboard, no more sprout!

I love the feel and sound of this thing, and for under $400 completely refurbed (with original case), it's a terrific bass at a good price IMHO.

IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2103.JPG F069F252-8003-47D4-ADE2-2C0D95F7766D. 99C9D5BA-2684-4EF3-9444-874E44A52765. Vantage and Pedulla.

Baa likes this.
  14. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    Nice job!
    Looks great :thumbsup:

CTBassGuy likes this.