Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vantage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluemeanies, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I have a chance of getting a brand new never used vantage 4 string for $60. I have no information on it yet, but I will call tomorrow to get some. I actually have never heard of vantage, but i did a few searches and found out a bit, is this bass even worth my time? I keep finding bad reviews.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I could be mistaken, but I think Vantage basses were made by Samick so you might try contacting them.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe Vantage basses in the 80s were among many made by the Matsumoku factory in Japan, who also made many fames Aria basses and some Washburns too. 1990s Vantage basses are from a Korean factory, as are budget Arias. I believe budget Washburns are made in China now.

Still, for only $60, what do you have to lose?

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    From what I've read, you'll probably pay double that amount in upgraded pickups and solder.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    True. I wasn't thinking, sorry. As a project bass, sure the $60 isn't much of a loss. But if you're looking to buy it as a player, then it's iffy.

6. I have one and my sister had one a few years ago.

They are cheaply made but set right, sometimes you can get them to sound pretty good

7. I did get it, but I am trading a friend for a pedal. I already have a cheaper bass I have been fixing up, so he can have fun with this one! Thank you for the advice, and information.