Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

varathane coating on a fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, May 14, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Just wondering if anyone would know if a normal household poly coating would wook on a fretless without messing up the sound

specific product
    Varathane brand
    Diamnod wood finish

oil based interior grade satin clear

2. A friend of mine tried using Minwax.... he said it never set all the way and he ended up having to replace his fingerboard...(then again he has no clue about lutherie and such, so if you do you could probably fix it if you messed it up). I actually found it humerous when i looked at his fingerboard and saw the pattern of his gigbag in the poly coat... Yep, didn't set all the way, never gonna be as hard as diamondkote anyway(try a seach on that stuff, it's amazingly hard)
    :smug:

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    heheh minwax is junk

this stuff is like a decently hard oil penatrating sealer.
    just dunno if it would screw up the sound real bad if it coated a bit high or not

4. I've had and continue to have great success with Minwax's clear poly in the spray. Warmed, thin coats - about 10 in all - make for a very hard, durable and smooth finish. Patience is all it takes. I let each coat cure for at least 2 days before wetsanding and recoating. Finally, the last coat has to cure until there is absolutely NO SMELL coming from it whatsoever. That's about the best way to be sure it's cured to it's workable stage. Yes, there are other harder (read "more expensive") coatings but acquiring them or applying them is out of range of most DIY'ers.

Verathane is one of the first and best consumer poly's out there. I wouldn't however, use the brush version. You should spray it for more consistent coats. Applied this way, the poly should cure faster and more completely.

5. I used the spray Polyurethane on my bass project and it worked out quite fine. Also, I used a satin finish, so I don't have to worry about whether or not the body is perfectly smooth as I would have had to do with a glossy finish. I plan on using the Polyurethane on my EMBE [Extreme Makeover Bass Edition].