1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Variable series switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matthijs, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    On the website of a Dutch builder I saw them advertise a series 'dial' option for a jazz bass model that was described as: allowing you to gradually blending in the bridge pickup in series.

I've been trying to figure out how to do this and can't think of a good way. It should be possible to use a pot to blend between ground and the hot output of the bridge pickup. Problem is in the middle it will just lower the overall volume unless the pot value is so low it will almost short the bridge pickup.

I'm not sure how usefull the option would be. For the moment I'm mainly interessted in solving the puzzle. Any idea's?

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't know beyond what you have already speculated. If you post the link to the web page someone else may spot technical clues that you have missed.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't think it's a blend pot at all, rather, the pot simply acts as a rheostat between the always active neck pickup and the bridge pickup.

I'll draw it up in a moment to explain.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    JazzMathijsJazzBV-V-T.

The bridge volume pot, when fully "on", places a big resistance through the pot, forcing the signal to go through the (comparatively lower-resistance) bridge pickup. When the bridge volume pot is fully "off", its contacts area directly connected and it has virtually no resistance, so the signal flows through the pot and bypasses the bridge pickup completely.

5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Thanks, i get it. I gues i was overthinking this