Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variation in pickups...(sound)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 29, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I have gone thru 3 basses in the last 2 months...having said that I am very picky. I think I am here to stay with my spector.

The first bass was a Conklin GT7. It had barts and the sound was unexplainably awesome. I drift off into bliss just thinking about it! Anyways the craftmanship on that guitar was poo, so it was returned. BTW it had a might mite preamp.

Then I got a warwick FNA 4. It has the MEC passive music man pickup with the basslines preamp. It had a good sound, but it was apples and oranges because, 1. there was a slap contour feature, and it was going from 7 to four strings. The sound was definetly "punier" than the GT7.

Now with my Czech spector, which I have had for not even a day, has EMG's. The sound is well, un explainable at this point. I put emg's on my elec. guitar and dont like it much.

Obviously I like the sound of the bartolini equipped bass better...Having said that, was it the bass or the pup(s) and/or preamp?

If I want to (in the future) put barts on my spector, what do I do? Replace only the pickups or get a new preamp too?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks