Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variation of Modulus Q5 necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by npbassman, Sep 30, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a Q that I assume was made around the early 90's. It's got a nice, thin profile and has no truss rod. I got it second hand and this bass has been a rock for me ever since I've owned it (knock, knock). I just had a chance to play a Q5 that was made this year and noticed that it's neck was much fatter then my neck and had a truss rod. It was like a D shape and it felt nothing like my neck. I have small hands and the thin neck is great for me so my question is, when did they change this and how many revisions has the neck gone through? If I were to order a brand new Q do I get an option on neck profiles? Or, if I look for a used one will I have to look for an older one to get the neck that I have now?

Thanks,

Mike

2. I think you will. I had a 91 Q5 with the thin neck and the newer ones feel way different to me.

3. Wow, so newer Moduli have thicker necks?

Now my curiosity's piqued.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, they literally threw out the old mold a few years ago. There was a big advertising push about it, IIRC. I think it was somewhere around 1998???

Oh well...