1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

variation on the typical noob question

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by dbwindhorst, Sep 16, 2010.

1. I'm learning to play upright -- but strictly as a hobbyist, for some home-recorded rockabilly/psychobilly stuff. As such, my requirements may not be quite the same as a lot of the folks who post here looking for advice on where to start.

I don't necessarily need a bass that's really loud or roadworthy or authentic in size, shape, and appearance, and it'll only ever get strung with weedwackers (which I've gotten used to on the the Palatino EUB I'm playing now; too bad there doesn't seem to be any way to get a good recordable slap from the thing after trying all kinds of mic and pickup arrangements). It just needs to be reasonably playable and affordable, and slap and intonate halfway decently; a half-assed approximation of authenticity would, in this case, be plenty.

And I've done enough guitar repair to be able to manage some bridge and nut work, but am not delusional enough to take on any fingerboard dressing or planing.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

David

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Find a decent used plywood student model bass, but don't go the CCB (cheapo chinese bass) route unless you just really don't give a **** about tone or it lasting very long.

Find a used bass and talk the guy down, it's a buyers market right now. I got an old used Engelhardt C1 for $600 on craigslist some years ago and have been recording and gigging with it since. It's held up great and sounds perfect for Roots music.

It's worthwhile IMO to get a decent bass, the CCBs are often times just not very fun to play because they sound and feel like crap. There are too many decent basses out there used, old German plywood basses, Shen, Christopher (two good Chinese makers) and Strunal, etc - to settle for a POS CCB that will fall apart.

My two cents anyway.

3. Hi.

First of all, where do You live?

If You're in Europe, dont be afraid of trying the eastern block plywoods. Most of them have endured several decades of (ab)use already, and still going on strong. Granted, the tone may not be the best, but there's always the western Europe ply's to choose from.

I don't have the same dislike for CCB's as the most of the TBers, but I may just have gotten lucky with the few ones I've encountered.

Regards
    Sam

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021