Variax Bass 705 - five string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wulf, Jul 25, 2005.

1. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've just heard that Line6 have come out with a five string variant on their Variax bass. That doesn't answer all of my concerns (raised in other threads on the topic) but, since a lot of people raised the fact that the original only had four strings as a problem, this may be of interest to some.

I wonder how this will affect the price of the Variax Bass 700?

2. I dont put too much interest in line6 products except their rack, but i think the four strings version price will drop quite a bit, because a new bass is coming out, but i don put too much interest in their basses, it sounded so digital from what i have heard..
  3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i prefer analog instruments
    "no effects, im driving."
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i recently checked out a 4 string and was thoroughly unimpressed... :(
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Fair enough if you're not into the Variax approach - it's no more mandatory than having to want a Bongo or desire a new cabinet that's louder than your old one but only the size of a matchbox...

However, I noted that a lot of people seemed to be commenting that not having a five string version was an issue for them. Personally, I'm waiting for some other factors instead (like a software tool to manipulate tones and tuning and a big price drop) but I suspect this might bring Line6 a few more customers.

6. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I really liked the way the variax 700 I tried out the other day sounded acoustically and felt, but I couldn't figure out how to turn it on, and I was too embaressed to ask the dude at the counter how to do it :bawl:
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Never get embarrassed about asking reasonable questions! I think the answer is that you need to plug it in via the supplied DI unit if it hasn't got batteries in. Rotate the model selector to choose what you want and pull the volume knob up to switch between the red and green banks.

Mind you, I've only tried one a couple of times... best just to go back and ask!

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I hear a lot of talk about things sounding "digital".

What exactly does that mean?

From an audiophile point of view, "digital" means lower noise (because you can tell the circuit to completely ignore signals attributed to noise) and wider dynamic range. Those of you who had LPs and tapes would know how much quieter and more brilliant CDs are.

So when someone says something sounds "digital" with a negative connotation, does that mean he is actually missing the noise that is more efficiently removed?
  9. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I guess it's kind of like a way of describing something that sounds "hi-fi" - should technically be better quality, but it's lacking a certain warmth to it, like valve over transistors. Matter of opinion really.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Practically speaking, "digital" enables sound reproduction with lower noise and wider dynamic range, but it also entails a theoretical loss of resolution in the audio signal. As a result, some people claim to hear a "coldness" or "grittiness" in digital audio.

Given the fairly high sample rates of modern digital audio devices (and their ubiquity in the recording industry), I don't consider it an issue. Or maybe my hearing just sucks.
  11. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    In my opinion the Variax bass sounds fine. It can be as warm or woody as any other alder-bodied bass I've heard. Depends what you dial in.
    Some people just don't like or trust newer technology I guess. I suppose they wouldn't want to play through an EA or Epifani amp, since they are digital too? Maybe they sit around listening to vinyl, bitching because CD's sound too cold and digital. It's their right to have that preference, and I'll agree that a good old fashioned bass plugged straight into an amp is more organic.
    I think it's a well made bass (better than any MIM Fender I've played) with some great sounds, and when the 5 comes out maybe the price of the 4 will come down a little, making it a good value.
  12. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i like it, but would only get it as a non-main axe.