Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variax bass site up!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Looks like Line 6 have got all the details of the Variax Bass up at their site now! :hyper:

http://www.line6.com/variaxBass/index.html

Check out the Audio Tour page - some of the bass models are incredibly authentic, especially the fretless Jazz, the other Jazzes, the Rickenbackers, the Flea Bass and the Hamer 12. Even the Kay upright model is reasonably accurate!

I've pinched the full list of modelled basses - they are:
    '61 Jazz w/roundwounds
    '60 Jazz w/flatwounds
    '60 Jazz fretless
    '04 USA Jazz Deluxe
    '63 P-bass w/roundwounds
    '58 P-bass w/flatwounds
    '77 Musicman Stingray
    '03 Modulus Flea Bass
    '71 Rickenbacker 4003 w/rounds
    '63 Rickenbacker 4001 w/flats
    '66 Danelectro Longhorn
    '63 Hofner 500/1
    '63 Gibson Thunderbird
    '66 Gibson EB-2D w/flats
    '02 MTD 435
    '03 Warwick Thumb
    '78 Alembic
    '84 Steinberger XL-2
    '68 Hagstrom H8 8-string
    '94 Hamer B12A 12-string
    '03 Tacoma Thunderchief acoustic
    '49 Kay M-1 upright
    Various synth sounds (Moog, etc)

There's a few other interesting details on there as well, such as that the neck pocket will fit most Fender-style necks if you want to replace it.

I think I want one...

Russ :bassist:

2. That looks awesome. I wish they had a 5- or 6-string model though...

3. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    That was pretty impressive. I wish there was a way to get a rockabilly slap bass sound out of it. I'd be in line to buy one then. Later Joe

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    imagine the Variax with a Geddy neck. drooool

damnit, I'm drooling over a Line6 after hating my old guitarist's Line6 Spider

5. looks cool. I'd like to try one out. Does anyone know how the system actually works? Because there are no visible PU's or something like that

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Wow, how much do they cost?

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's pretty cool!!! I liked the URB sound!!

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id like to try one out as soon as I could.

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    You think this is a bass for someone who doesn't know what kind of sound he's after? Well, i want a ric but since this bass can give you an idea of it's sound and alot more than this might be alot cooler, hope it's not to expensive though.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im guessing it will sell for between $700 and $900 based on how they price their other products.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Check musiciansfriend for it, I think it was 1199-1299.

I'm skeptical but intrigued.

12. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
  13. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
  14. I'm not very impressed by any of the sounds, except the Ric and the hollowbodies.

15. Soundcontrol list it for £899 in their catalogue.
    I don't fancy trying one out in the Oxford street store amidst the cacophony of everyone else playing at the same time though :meh:

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    To my ears, the Gibson sounds, the Stingray, the Hofner and the ABG don't sound all that great, but the rest of them are pretty bloody close - the modern Jazz screams "Marcus", the MTD sounds spot-on, the fretless Jazz sounds remarkably authentic, the Steiny sounds fantastic and I'd be happy reeling out "School Days" using the Alembic sound.

I shall reserve final judgement until I have one in my hands, trying it through a decent rig, but I have to say I'm impressed already. :)

Russ :bassist:

17. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I wonder if old strings will make the 'samples' sound more 'dead' as on a 'real' bass?

18. I am hearing a chorus-like effect in many of the samples. neat idea. they should sell a kit to retrofit any bass.

19. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    ...but I'll only buy one when:

They increase the library of sounds, adding few more key bass models to its aresenal of tones, and at the very least add a low B string (both 5 and 6 string models would be great).

There's little point in having such "modern" bass tones such as the Tobias MTD, when you can't really play them in a "modern" context; in contrabass range. For such a "modern" instrument, the Variax bass lacks that one very key modern accoutrement, IMHO; the low B string.

I love Line 6. I own a PODxt Live, and think it's just great. Their acoustic models are really awesome. Perfect? I dunno - perfect compared to what? Their Warwick might not sound just like mine, but it might sound just like yours. I think they capture the essence of the tones very well.

I suppose I'll just wait patiently in hopes that they follow this bass up with the bass Variax of my dreams...

Perhaps a 6 string one, designed with the help of Michael Tobias, hint, hint. I love all of the basses I own, and they are each unique, but ONE stands apart from the rest in terms of ergonomics and playability. There's a good reason why Mike serves as consultant to so many bass manufacturers.

I would buy a 6 string Variax bass with his touches on it, sight unseen. Santa? ...Please? ...Next year?

20. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Probably just the "lossy" compression, causing phase-shift artifacts.

It's hard to judge sounds on the internet, unless they are presented in a "lossless" file format (such as .wav), in at least 44.1 Khz.