Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variax Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Anyone who have heard about any specific time when the Variax Bass is presumed to recieve the musicstores?

2. is it official that they are being made?
    i remember a thread about the variax bass here a while back, but i don't remember hearing that one was being made.
    If they are, that'd be awesome!
    Charlie

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    They talked about it at the NAMM and I read an interview in which they (Line 6 in FUZZ, a swedish mag)talked about it.

4. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Variax bass isn t official yet.No specs, no pics, no clip... :crying:

5. That variax guitar looks awesome if its as good as it looks. A Variax bass would be awesome! Anyone try/have the guitar?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My singer has the guitar. The Martin acoustic model sounds *awesome* live -- he only needs to bring one guitar now.

I haven't tried the Bass Pod, but you'd have to really like it to want a Variax Bass. There are many folks who've sold their Bass pods.

7. Its a good idea but it wouldnt feel the same as owning the original ya know?

8. dmielke

dmielke

Mar 25, 2004
    Those were my thoughts when I tried it. I only played for a minute or two in a Guitar Center, so it wasn't the most condusive setting for playing, but the feel of the guitar wasn't quite what I'd want. No matter now, though, seeing as Warmoth makes replacement parts for them. The wierd part was hearing acoustic tones with an acoustic amp while playing a solidbody - it just felt odd. that, and through the acoustic amp, the electric models blended together.

I think a Variax bass could be really great, but I hope Line 6 just puts in good, useful models, unlike the guitar, IMHO - they should have spend more time on the guitar models making them better than putting a banjo and a sitar on it. Oh, well.

Dustin

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think a Variax Bass would be cool, but rather wierd. That would leave me no reason to switch basses during a show :p

10. I've had a Variax 500 since January when GC had them on a 499 special. While it's true the tones are not exact (how could they be?) they are certainly very close. Close enough for the home recordings I make, and close enough for all the musicians who use them live.

You can dial in a Les Paul, an acoustic, a Tele, a Strat, and many more. The tones you can get with the turn of a knob is amazing.

The thing to remember is, your target market is people who go to shows and buy CDs, not music nuts holed up in their room comparing guitar sounds. Highly doubtful anyone in the general population could pick out a 62 Strat out of a lineup of brand new squires!

I'd buy a Varibass is a NY minute if it's anything like the Variax. You could go from Vintage Jazz, to Modern P Bass, to a Stingray, and everything in between in two seconds.

If you want Line 6 to make a Varibass, send an email to ideas@line6.com and join the campaign!

I played the Bass Pod XT for about an hour and a half and really liked it. It’s on my very short GAS list.

George

11. Umm, replace that to "download compressed audio files."
    No one buys CDs anymore...Unless they're blanks. Heh.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then let's get the list going of basses we want:

Vintage Precision
    Vintage Jazz
    Rickenbacker
    Stingray
    Gibson EBO
    Warwick
    Guild ABG
    Random Fretless
    Random 8 String

And maybe the Variax Workbench (program your own instruments) can come too. Supposedly you can change tunings between programmed instruments...I could use that...one in Eb, one BEAD, one in D, one in drop D...

Oh the possibilites :)

13. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I don't think its a bad idea either. If you want the real sound, buy the real bass. The Variax bass could be used for basses you don't have I guess?

14. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I´ve mailed Eric Kirkland on Line 6 Variax product management
    and wrote
    *As lightweight as possible.
    *Maybe a fivestring version (I suppose you can't manage to fix a "tune down in reel time" effect on a fourstring, wish is preferable)
    *Vintage and Hi tech sounds
    *Good Jazz,P-Bass and Ricky sounds
    *Upright sounds
    *Hollowbody sounds
    *Eightstring (octave)sounds
    *Acoustic sounds
    Is features that instantly comes to my mind

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Being unfamiliar with the Line 6, I'd like to ask: what's the difference between this and the Roland V-Bass and V-Guitar? Is it just a matter of having control of the initial sound producer (selling the guitar as part of the system), or is there more to it?

16. OK, a Variax bass would be good for studio, but unlike guitarist, we(bass players) don't change our sound two or three times in a song. It's hard enough to have a descent sound live, that I can't imagine the soundman who has to manage ten different basses for one man.

I'm not saying that a variax bass is not a good idea, but keep an eye to the soundman when you'll switch from a JB to a Stingray, and to an SVT from a bassman with your Pod:"what the hell is going on with this bass????....":)

17. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    one important thing to remember about a variax bass... it would nulify the need for G.A.S.! Don't ever let your spouses find out about it! :D

I have had a chance to play with the variax guitar... and they did a good job with it. I also use a bass pod and an AX2 gtr amp.... Line 6 does an amazing job with what they are doing. Are they dead on with the models? No, but they are close and they sound cool. I am more worried about the intangible 'vibe' of a bass they would make... I play a p bass differently than I play a jazz bass, and differently again than I play an active 5 string lakland... This bass might replicate the sound of a vintage p, but would it get the 'vibe'? I probably am thinking too much about all of this, but this is what it all boiled down too when I thought about getting the guitar.... and I passed on that...

P@

18. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I had the chance to play one of these for about half an hour today.
    Brian, my guitarist, spotted the Ric sound right off. My brother, a non-musician, couldn't identify models but could tell the differences in sound.
    The neck has a hard finish on it that was very smooth. I like the feel of wood, like warwick necks, so I wasn't too thrilled with the way it felt. Not that this would keep me from buying the bass. The spacing was like a Jazz to me. The bass was light. Didn't get to try it with a strap but it balanced fine on my leg.
    Overall, I'd say it was a 9.5/10

19. clearskies2

clearskies2

Jan 11, 2005
    chicago,IL
  20. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    They have one in Alto Music in Middletown, NY but I haven't been able to have time to try it out