Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variax bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I heard alot about these basses and asked my local store to call me when/if they get one in. So the call came a few days ago and I went in to check it out.

One word: Average.

In my personal opinion it was a good play but that bass modelling? I just dont like the idea. I switched it onto rickenbacker and it sounded like a warwick, i switched it to Fender Jazz, it sounded like a P-bass. I was dissapointed, on the upside it looked good and was easy to play. For some reason the output was low, maybe a manefacturing flaw? The guy who works in the bass section (Tommy Emmanuels bassist I believe) said he was quite dissapointed with the bass as well.

Dont take my word for it tho, some of you may like it. This was just my personal opinion, and for that matter all the afformentioned flaws could have been localised in that specific bass. But like I said, I thought it was average.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Heeeey! Billy Hyde Music Blackburn? Rob Little in charge of the bass section??

Maybe they put the knob on wrong? :D

I remember reading somewhere some sounds were overwritten when he tried the Variax bass, so...