variax bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Rhythm, Jun 27, 2005.

1. anyone got any opinions on it?

i played one at the london guitar show for about an hour and it was amazing! such a nice neck and the sounds were great even though i was running through a basspod and some crappy headphones!

i think it looks pretty cool aswell in the sunburst. Pitty the price isn't lower but they were doing deals on the display models at the end of the last day, like £400! how cool!

anyway i really like it and would buy if i could afford, just wondered what every1 else thinks as i actually hate quite passionatly everything else line6 make, so it took a while for me to be convinced into playing the thing.
  2. For some reason, ive got sorta automatic hatred for line6, i thought the PODS were an idea that would be very very useful but they just sound pants to me. The amps really dont cut it. I recorded a band last week that used a line6 spider guitar amp, sounded terrible when recording. The amp just sounds too digital, like if you were to DI a straight guitar signal then effect it with plugins. just doesnt sound real!! The bass POD ive tried and i can see some use for it again just for recording, to be able to have all those great classic bass sounds in one box is fantastic but again does nothing for me. doesnt sound real at all. The bass is a great idea, having classic bass sounds in one unit, which no doubt will save space in the tour van or studio instead of having 4/5 basses have the one that does itall.

Ive played the varix at one of the MusicLive events we have, was not impressed, like i said the idea is great but just doesnt deliver. The sounds kinda resembled what they are supposed to but if u want to have a bass that sounds like a Warwick Corvette or a '62 Jazz bass then get that bass!!
  3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I was really psyched about this bass from what I had read about it. Then I played the Line 6 Variax at a local GC and was totally unimpressed. I didn't like the feel of the bass or the sounds that it tried to deliver. I was playing through one of those new Bose personalized amplification systems. I wasn't too impressed with it either. Maybe I need to try each of them without the other and see if it's one or both that I don't like. But then again that's why they make so many different models - something for everybody.
  4. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I have had one for over a month now. I like it. A lot.
    I've been playing over 20 years and have had many of the basses modelled, and played most of the others. I can say this bass sounds great and plays great.
    One thing I've noticed, is that the strings have to be fresh or it won't sound good. I guess the piezo pickups don't like dull strings. A set of Prisms really brought this bass to life. Huge difference. So the ones at GC for demo may not be able to reach the bass' peak. Also, the presets can get messed with in that environmnent. And the Bose thing isn't so hot to try any bass out on from what I've seen.
    Many of the models take a little tweaking to get them to sound right to me. The tone controls are very powerful on this bass and make huge differences in the sound.
    I'm happy with this purchase.
  5. never tried one, but ive never liked any other line 6 product ive heard im afraid, they are more like toys than tools

+ theres something just not right about it not having a pickup you can see
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm simply wondering how you could tell that the sounds were great if your were using "crappy" headphones? Wouldn't that make great tone *bad*? You could have been playing a Sadowsky/Pedulla/Lull/cream o' the crop and it would sound like a parts bass constructed by monkeys (...or a Wish :smug: ) if the headphones aren't decent.
  7. from what i'v seen and read, the vireax bass is a great bass and the ton is great on it. Though i havn't been able to try one because they don't make a left handed models from what i'v seen.
  8. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I played one at Elderly and liked it, but wish they made it in a 5 string.
  9. +1.
  10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    digital bass, ehh. no, i prefer bass with a soul
  11. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Then stop listening to CD's.
    Soul comes from your fingers, not the instrument. I know what you are saying, but the Variax can sound as woody as any other bass I've played.
  12. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i still dont like it.
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've played one and liked it. I'm not sure how many of the sounds really nail the instruments they're based on but, to be fair, there's plenty of variance in basses anyway so expecting, for example, the P bass to sound like your ideal Fender Precision might be stretching it a bit! The classic model I'd played most recently before trying the Variax was a Rickenbacker and I thought they'd captured a good facsimile of the sound (and cheaper than buying a proper Rick, albeit with a different kind of "beautiful ugly" aesthetic).

However, there are still a few things that have held me back from splashing out on one:

- they're still not widely available (my local stores haven't got them yet and earlier this year I only found one place selling them in London); that raises concerns about what happens if something breaks.

- most of the time I play six string basses and I'm also used to having 24 frets (the four string / 21 fret limitation seems a bit limiting)

- the price is too high, especially since I'm pretty sure I'd probably end up just using one or two settings 99% of the time

- I'd definitely want an equivalent of the workbench software for the guitars (tweaking the tuning by twisting the knob might make up for the limitations of strings and frets) and, ideally, I'd want it to run under Linux (as my preferred OS).

Therefore, I'm content to wait and see for the moment!

14. Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    Don´t buy that bass. It might be ok to play on, but the sounds are just SO BAD. It says that it has the sound of a vintage bass, I say "where?".

I hate it!
  15. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    What are you basing that on? Have you spent time playing one?
    I'm concerned why someone would think that, because it sounds good to me. If there is something wrong with my ears, I need to know.
  16. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    The Variax is a tool to be used, period. I'm not saying buy one to replace your "62 jazz and Ampeg SVT 810, but maybe use it as you would an effect pedal. I know it at least sounds better than one of the Boss synth pedals. Does it sound vintage? No. Does it sound differently cool? I think so.
  17. actually crappy headphones just give bad quality sound back, there is no tonal differance, it's just bad quality of sound reproduction.
  18. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    :eyebrow: But the tone is the quality of the sound. When I'm serious about buying a piece of kit I like to try it with the rest of my gear or at least something that is similar. That's the best way to be sure that it's going to work for your tastes. If you put an expensive bass (and the Variax is like a whole set of expensive basses) through a cheap amplification set up and you're unlikely to get the best results from it.

19. I still think you'll find tone is different to sound playback.

tone is about the timbre of the note, sound playback doesn't change that.
  20. good monitors don't make you sound better on the CD.

Bad monitors don't make you sound worse either.
    see what i mean?