1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Variax or all of them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Variex!

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. All of the basses it covers!

81 vote(s)
    87.1%
  1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

Would you rather have the Line 6 Variex or have all the basses it covers? I would want all the basses, don't know why, just do. Probably because I would think that the Variex doesn't have the tone spot on.

-Arpeggi

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Duh! All of the basses would be an absolutely amazing collection! I don't think anybody has it.

3. I dont think anyone is going to choose a variax given the choice

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Rather *have,* or rather *use?*

Have would be all; use would be Variax.

I said "All" to the poll and here's why:

I don't like all of them, and I would sell the ones I don't like and buy me a Variax instead :)

The Variax basses are ideal for recording or for covering a lot of tonal variety. I would prefer them to the real deal in the studio for any of a dozen sounds, specifically the older basses that were not available in a 5-string version (I'm a 5-string player). I'd surely keep the MTD, Modulus Flea, the older Fenders, etc, but I would sell the Hofner Beatle bass, the 8- and 12-string basses, and some of the weirder ones. The great thing about a Variax is that you can get a 12-string sound without keeping a 12-string set-up, strung, and in-tune :) Not to mention the space. I would never bring a 12-string with me on a session unless the producer specifically asked for it... It's just too much hassle, and if I only bring 2 or 3 basses to a session, I'm not bringing a 12-string. However, with a Variax, I don't have to make those choices: I have everything there.

Long answer short, I would take them all, sell the ones I don't like, then buy a Variax and use that instead.

5. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    All of them!!!!

I would be a very happy man!

6. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    No contest... own all of them!

7. Good point. The thing is, I've never played a VariAxe. I'm not sure I like how they look.

Wouldn't it be cool if Line6 sold a Variaxe kit that one could mod just about any bass they wanted to with?

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    id be curiuos to pick the brain of anyone who would take the variax over all of those basses...not saying theyre wrong, id just be curious about their reasoning behind that.

when push comes to shove, id just look at it from a fiscal standpoint; included in those instruments are two rickenbackers, which would come out to roughly 8 brand new variaxes if you sold just those two.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    For everyone's reference, here are the basses that the Line6 Variax models:

- 1961 Fender Jazz Bass
    - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass with flatwound strings
    - 2004 Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
    - 1961 Fender Jazz Bass (fretless w/marine epoxy)
    - 1963 Fender Precision Bass
    - 1958 Fender Precision Bass with flatwound strings
    - 1977 Music Man Sting Ray
    - 2003 Modulus Flea Bass
    - 1971 Rickenbacker 4001
    - 1963 Rickenbacker 4001 with flatwound strings
    - 1966 Danelectro Longhorn Bass
    - 1963 Hohner Model 500/1 with flatwound strings
    - 1963 Gibson Thunderbird 4
    - 1966 Gibson EB-20 with flatwound strings
    - 2002 MTD 435
    - 2003 Warwick Thumb
    - 1978 Alembic Long Scale
    - 1984 Steinberger XL2
    - 1968 Hagstrom H8 eight-string
    - 1994 Hamer B12A twelve-string
    - 2003 Tacoma Thunderchief
    - 1949 Kay M-1 double bass
    - also two "Synth" sounds which Line6 designed & included, but are not modeled after any real basses

If we're not counting the option of taking all the real basses, selling some, and buying a Variax to actually use, I would rather have/use the Variax. Here's why:

1) Where the heck am I gonna keep 20+ expensive basses so that they are safe and climate-controlled? In my living room? (I have 3 roommates!) I don't want that kind of responsibility when it comes to caring for that many pieces of history, given my living situation.

2) Even if I had space for them, it would take a significant amount of my time to care for them all, keep them set-up & adjusted for changes in the seasons, tuned, polished, etc.

3) I do not even want to think about the insurance bill for all of those vintage instruments...

4) Many of those instruments were not available in 5-string versions, and I only play 5- and 6-string basses - I've tried many times to like them, but I just can't stand 4-bangers, so I wouldn't enjoy them very much, anyway.

5) A lot of these instruments have their own quirks, even the stellar examples of the lines: for example, being very heavy, having single-coil hum, being neck-heavy, having (to me) uncomfortably rounded fretboard radii, having (to me) uncomfortably thick neck profiles & thin nut widths (I like wide, flat, thin necks), etc.

6) When I'm working, I wouldn't want to deal with having all those basses (although I'm sure I could start an entire business of renting out gear to studios & producers with a collection like that). It seems like a nice fantasy but in reality, it would be a pain to have to choose only 2 or 3 basses/tones to bring with me on the session. I'd probably bring the MTD 435, the '58 Precision with flats, and the '61 Jazz with rounds... all of which are 4-strings, by the way. But what if when I get to the session, I want the 8-string bass? Or the Beatle bass? Or the Modulus Flea? Or the Rick with rounds, or flats, or the Thunderbird, or the Warwick Thumb, or Gibby EB-20....? With the Variax, I'm not stuck with 2 or 3 sounds; I can turn a knob and there we are. Plus, even if I were able to bring the entire collection with me to sessions, what a pain in the butt it would be to make sure each bass is adapted to the temperature in the studio and tuned, not to mention setting EQs for each one so the levels are even.... it would take 20 times as long, and since time = money in the studio, especially for "just" the bass, is it really worth all that trouble, given the current state of our industry (where recordings, more and more, are becoming "free" promotional tools and less-and-less a source of income for labels)? Bottom line, if it takes 20 times as long, it had better sell at least 20 times as many records, or it's a waste of time/money.

Certainly all of those basses would be fun to have, but so impractical. I would rather have a couple of Variax 5-string basses (1 main one and 1 backup - which is exactly what I have right now) instead, to use for sessions, especially because I don't like 4-strings.

It might be a better/more representative poll if the question was, which would you rather have: All the basses a Variax models, or a Variax + the cash value of all of those basses?

Hope this helps.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If one could get all of them for $499 in 5 string, of course!

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Line6 Inc does :) How do you think they modeled them in the first place? :bassist: They also have a *killer* collection of amps, cabs, mics, preamps, and guitars.

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I don't own a Variax but have heard mixed reviews, especially about their power requirements and battery life. That said, I have also heard they can emulate different basses quite well.

13. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you sold them, you could buy a house.

14. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I've never met a Variax that doesn't sound like crap. But that's just me.

15. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Dave,

your insight on how useful it is in a recording situation has me intrigued. i figured they would probably be far more suited to that kind of studio environment, but since i never recorded during my ownership of the variax, i couldnt comment. i played out a few times with it, and it never seemed to get lost in the mix any more than any other bass would. in other words, you could EQ it to stand out or fit in the mix, just like any other.

i think id take the variax + the cash :ninja:

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think a variax would be cool if (imho) it was nicer..

like if i could put all the electronics of it inside my Fbass or somehing

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    I know; that's why I said if we're not "allowed" the option of selling any of them, and just having/using the collection versus having/using a Variax :)

18. It's been done, usually with new bodies.

19. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I'd take any one of those basses over the Variax.

20. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Haha, good point. I'd definitely have a Variax if they came lefty...

<_<
    >_>
    <_<

I've come to realize that Mr. Muscato is the only representation in defense of the Variax against nay-sayers, yet he does a very exceptional job!