1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Various EUB Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Bassmanbob, May 19, 2011.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

First off, thanks in advance.

I'm a EBG player who is getting his hands on a NS Design CR4M. While I don't see myself becoming a full blown double bass player, I'm assuming taking lessons from an experienced double bass player/teacher is a good idea. I want to learn how to play this instrument properly. I want to learn proper finger, hand, arm and body posture, technique, the proper approach to the instrument, playing styles, phrasing and anything else I haven't mentioned that I may not know about. I live in a fairly suburban to rural area, and I don't know any double bass teachers.

So:
    1. Are double bass players/teachers usually open to teaching someone on an EUB?
    2. I suppose I can ask the local HS music teacher (who I know well) how to contact a local double bass teacher.
    3. What are the good or better books for beginners of double bass or EUB instruments?
    4. What are good websites for new EUB players who have transitioned from EBG? I did notice something on the Golihur website and read it. I'm also assuming this website is. Any others?

Thanks. That's all I can think of right now.

Bob

2. Hello.
    I can only answer the first question, because I live far away. :)

Technique for NS Design is similar to the technique acoustic double bass. Therefore need a teacher on DB.
    Distinguishes lies in the fact that the NS of the neck the other forms. NS stands on stable footing. This requires a change in the position of the hands and body. I think a good teacher on the double bass sort out these features.

3. patas75

patas75

Jan 26, 2011
    Duarte, CA
    Definitely get your hands on the Simandl book and a bow. The bow will help fine tune your intonation. I just started playing EUB for about a month and the transition from EBG hasn't been too bad. In the beginning I tried to relate the EUB to the EBG as far as where the notes are, e.g. a low G is on the 3rd fret of the E string so I tried to imagine where the 3rd fret would be. Now I'm thinking more on the position, half, first, etc. Expect for frustrating moments when you can't get a certain fingering or phrasing. Take a moment, relax, and then try again. Also do some searches and you might find a teacher that will give lessons over skype.

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Thank you gentlemen.

Anyone else?

5. I'll enthusiastically second the idea of getting a double-bass teacher, having made the same transition.
    The two instruments require totally different techniques, though DB technique actually transfers back to EBG pretty well. The vital thing to note, though, is that EBG technique on a DB will destroy your wrists and forearms over time - even if you just get enough lessons to make sure your left-hand fingering is correct, that'll be a huge help.
    In case you can't find a teacher within reach, it's very similar to drawing a bow - though this advice probably isn't much use if you've no background in archery :)

The Simandl book is indeed pretty damn good. This is also a good idea.

I'm using an NS WAV4, and the tripod is way too flexible, though I gather the other models come with a better one. I've built my own end-pin stand, and it's improved my playing immensely.

Your HS music teacher would be one good resource for finding a good DB teacher. Google helped me find mine; it's always worth searching for "double bass teacher" and adding your area to the search terms.