1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Varitone wiring help - need to eliminate static electric "pops"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 14, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I wired myself up a varitone/decade switch using a rotary switch and five different capacitors which all connect together to ground. It works as I expected it to except that I get "pop" sounds when I first turn the switch to each position after plugging in the bass. After I turn through all the positions the pops are gone until I plug it in again next time.

Can I use resistors to eliminate these static electric pops? If so, how would I wire them in?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    A 1 megohm or greater resistor soldered in parallel with each capacitor should fix it. Wattage rating doesn't matter here, use the smallest resistors you can find.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks!! Connect one of these to the end of each capacitor lead and then tie the resistor ends together to ground, right?