1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

varsatile pickups for studio P-J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gabazz, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I just bought a Squier P-J bass for the studio. As previously I used my brother's Squier P-J bass with reasonable success. The guitar is comfortable, but I the tone is not that great.

I would like my new bass to be versatile and not to spend more than 150-200. What pickups should I look into for this bass?

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    To an extent, it depends on what sort of tonal goals you have. That said, for a cheap bass, almost ANY change in pickups is going to be an upgrade. You might browse the classifieds here, as there are pickups all the time in the strings and accessories forum. The one thing you might look for, if given a choice among sets, is a humbucking J pickup. They typically won't hum cancel at all with a P, and particularly for studio use, you will want to keep noise down. Nordstrand offers this as a set, but over your budget a bit. Duncan doesn't offer this as a set specifcally, but you could pair one of their Ps with one of their humcancelling Js for around 175 it looks like. You might contact them about which combos play nice together.

Pbassmanca and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    For a versatile, quiet set, I dig the SPB-1 with the Apollo Jazz Bass.

4. DiMarzio!

lifer_, twocargar, HardNHeavy and 2 others like this.
  5. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I'd say the EMG Geezer Butler P/J set is pretty versatile.

Great tone and a lot of options for variation depending on your tone setting and blend.

tedious1 likes this.
  6. Will S.

Will S. Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Dimarzio Model P and Model J set. The model P does a decent milder P sound with volume rolled back, sounds amazing for the slightly more aggressive midrangey P sound, and just “feels” good to play. The Model J bridge gets all your classic J bridge tones but fuller and more useable in my opinion. They also combine better than a typical vintage p j set.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Wilde P46 and J45 are noise-free, sound fantastic (slightly modern), are extremely affordable, and come with an impeccable pedigree!

Bass Pickups

MDBass and Haroldo like this.
  8. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    The DiMarzio are tempting as they are the cheapest.

The SD SPB-1 seeks nice. I definitely did not like the SPB-3 though.

What about a Fender P-pickup. Then I have to add a J that sounds nice wth it. The Fender is the most expensive option.

9. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Another enthusiastic vote for the call of the Wildes. (If price is important, $60 for the P-pickup, $64 for the J.)

MDBass and ctmullins like this.
  10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Not unless you’re shopping used. Wilde are cheapest, $60 vs $69. You do have to wait for Becky to make them though, takes a few weeks.

11. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    I'm in Europe, so getting them here would make them quite expensive

ctmullins likes this.
  12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Gotcha. Consider adding your location to your TalkBass profile.

40Hz and Gabazz like this.
  13. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    The emg sets are pretty affordable with thomann. absolutely get a set with a humcanceling j for studio use. Have a look at Delano’s, but they might be a bit above your budget. But as they are german they are cheaper than most high end american brands. The best bang for your euro imho ar the dimarzio’s. Also available at thomann.

14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    +1 on the EMG Geezers.

15. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I play a few PJ sets and I just recently picked up a set of Dimarzio Area PJ. For 119.99 I must say they are really nice. They are very well balanced and have somewhat of a vintage tone and a medium output. They are very versatile and easy to EQ. I would rate them better than the Model PJ set.

Nedmundo likes this.
  16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    dropped Dimarzio's in my J and SD's on my P.....happy,happy :thumbsup:

twocargar likes this.
  17. Gabazz

Gabazz

Mar 17, 2018
    So I do not like the wilderness EMG wiring. I already have switchcraft socket, Orange drop cap and cuts pots for the bass. I will consider them, but I prefer something else.

The Di Marzio sound nice, but a bit muddy. I really like the tone of spb1 and fender. But these are more expensive.

18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have a modded PJ Fender Jazz Standard 5 string loaded with Aguilar PJ's and LOVE the way it sounds.

19. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    +1 on this. What I'm running in my Squire Jag, if you don't like the quick connect system, cut the connectors off the pickup wires and solder to your preferred pots and jacks, easy. It was between these and the QP's, I've heard the QP's in a buddies P/J, I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

20. I received my Wilde/Lawrence PJ set a couple of weeks ago. Shipped to Holland it was E130 plus another E18 for brokerage and import duties....still have to build them in though, need to do some routing.