1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Varying color on Rotosounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kcamsdog1387, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    I just picked up my bass from getting a setup and I noticed that it seems like they only replaced the stock Fender strings on my E string, and none of the others. I called the place and was told that he saw that the E was darker than the rest, but there are indeed all my Rotosounds because they had red threading on both ends.
    Has any other RS guys ever came across this? I've been playing them for 4 years now and have never seen it. Is the tech correct or is he talking his way out of a mistake?

Attached Files:

2. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    Upon looking at the pics I had the day I picked this up, the strings have been replaced, but the discoloration really bothers me. Thinking about taking it to the shop I bought the RS's from and asking for an exchange.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Does look strange, especially since it looks like a lot of the outer wrap is going around the tuner. They should all taper at the same point, but your E string looks like it's a LOT longer than the others.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    The silks are applied by hand so they do vary...

However the actual winding part under the silk looks different than Swing Bass 66's... On the A string the under silk windings look tighter but really hard to say from the images...

RS66LD's on my Jazz Bass... As you can see the silk is longer on my E-String than the others because it varies...

20131028_154826_zps7a692983.

20131028_154837_zps95519cb5.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Check the ball ends of the strings. If they're not all the same, then they are not from a unified single manufacturer set.

6. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    I called the shop I bought the 66s from and they said I can do an exchange even though I don't have the package. I just got this bass Thursday and my OCD can't handle the difference between the strings. Still, it's the damndest thing.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Glad I don't have OCD. I can't see a single bit of difference.

8. +1. And why even worry about it unless they play or sound different?

9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I see the color difference that happened on my first set of rotos.

10. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    it's true that steel can vary in color. But I've never had an irregular pack of Rotos. They have also always been on the darker side. I imagine Rotosound would have no issue getting you some replacements.

11. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Do all rotosound brand strings come with that silk
    on the top? What does that do any way?

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    All except the roto bass nickels have silk.

Modern strings use the silks mainly for looks. Some will say it helps protect hardware from scratches as well.

13. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Thanks. I'm getting some roto swing bass 66s
    Trying them out for the first time. I'm usually a d addario prosteels player but I'm trying different brands.