1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Varying flavor of soda.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    To offset the deep seriousness of my grandparent/death thread I thought I would add this lighthearted question.

As some of yu may know I am a huge Dr. Pepper fan...drinking one now as I type. Has anyone noticed a difference in the quality of the flavor of Dr. Pepper or any other soda, or beer, beverage etc, from one bottle/can to another? As in one can tasted better than the last can you drank 2 hours ago. To expound on that what is your favorite source of beverage? Can, plastic bottle, glass bottle, fountain?

Mine is fountain Dr. Pepper with a nice tall full cup of ice. Second would be in a can then the plastic bottle. I'm sure 1st place would go to a glass bottle if I could find one, never seen one actually.

Discuss....

2. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i am a raging Dr.Pepper addic. i would have to agree with you about the fountain soda, that is if the establishment has the syrup ratios right.:)

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    1. Cans
    2. Fountain/Tap
    3. Bottles

This counts for pop and beer (unless it's Guiness).

4. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Oh yeah..... I'm not a Dr. Pepper man but i've been crapping on to anybody who'll listen about this for years... I reckon cans of Coke taste way better than the bottles, it's all a huge conspiracy to make Coke more money you see :bag: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :bag:

*runs as black Coke panel vans pull up out front*

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Despite living in the town that houses the Dr. Pepper museum I don't care for the stuff myself. The real Dr. Pepper fiends that I know though like to buy the "Dublin Dr. Pepper" that is made not far from here in Dublin, TX and is still made with sugar instead of corn syrup. They sell it around here at various places. Do they sell that in MI?

bc

6. Absolutely. I refuse to drink beer from a can. If I only have cans available, I pour it into a mug/glass. If I can't do that, I just shut up and drink it from the can because, after all, beer is beer. But I hate that metallic taste you get from it. Bottles are always my first choice.

Soda is different though. I prefer the taste of canned soda, but fountain/tap is always best.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I drink a lot of soda. A lot. Here are the main factors that contribute to taste:

Date of manufacture: This is especially important with diet soda. Most people don't check for the expiration date, but it exists. Regular soda has a very long shelf life (1 to 2 years or so) whereas diet only lasts a few months. Keeping the soda cold will make it last longer, whereas exposing it to heat will make it expire within days or even hours, as the artificial sweetening products decompose. Random factoid: diet soda cans will burst at roughly -2ยบ celsius, just below freezing temperature, whereas regular cans are able to withstand temperatures substantially lower (glucose has the same effect as salt does on lowering the freezing point of water).

Type of water used: I've noticed that soda in European countries tastes different than soda in North America of the same type (ie: can, bottle, fountain etc.). I suspect that this is due to the water type used at each individual bottling plant. Of course, syrup to water ratios may also be at play.

blah blah blah I'm bored.

8. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I can definitely tell a difference in taste due to container type; especially with Mountain Dew. Sometimes Mountain Dew in a plastic bottle just tastes like vomit to me. Weird, huh? Not to mention gross...
    As for fountain drinks- sometimes they're better, sometimes not. It depends on the equipment being used, mix ratio, etc. I worked as a McD's manager for 8 years, so I know! Coke especially-with fountain Coke you often get a really strong nutmeg flavor.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Canned soda, bottles of beer.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Someone mentioned sugar compaired to syrup. I agree. My first job was at an A&W that made our own syrup so to speak. You mix an unGodly amount of sugar in very little water. Then you pour the flavor syrup into the sugar water...stir...then put it into the "cans". then with a lil Co2 magic you gat the frothy brew outa the tap up front. Big difference in taste compared to bottled/canned A&W at the store or other non A&W establishments. I actually don't even bother with root beer unless it's from that particular A&W.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

When I Smoked every can of Coke tasted awefull whille I was having a Cigarette with it.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm just pissed off that CocaCola Co has discontinued Vanilla Coke. That black cherry vanilla stuff seems like a Dr. Pepper rip off to me... more importantly, I hate the taste. Heck, I'm not crazy about regular Coke anymore. I'm going to inform CocaColaCo that they've lost a customer. Once my cache of Vanilla Coke runs out I'm gonna switch to water and fruit juice and survive without caffeine.

Back to regular Coke - the whole New Coke/Coke Classic "fiasco" was a clever strategy to sweeten regular coke with high fructose corn syrup. New Coke was simply a McGuffin. It worked like a charm... not only did few people notice the difference between original Coke and Coke Classic, but the publicity increased the company's stock value.

Not sure if any of that is on topic, but I had to vent. :p

13. MAJOR METAL

Share your pain Bro ;) :D

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Boy...at first I thought you were talking about using the can to smoke.

15. MAJOR METAL

Thats only for the really desperate :p

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    See, I do love a good fountain coke from McDonalds. They are usually very consistent. For some reason, it's just the best Coke I have ever had.

Now, Pepsi out of cans sucks. But when it cam in glass bottles, nothing could beat it.

Now, I am pretty much sticking with cans or fountains. I don't like the plastic bottles all that much.

17. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I agree with the whole new coke/classic story. I know for a fact they had a whole warehouse of Classic waiting to ship (my friend's mom was the acting president at the time).

High fructose corn syrup is also the primary reason for obesity in the USA...notice how bad the weight problems shot up after the switch? Sorry, this country lives on sugar water, and this little change has had the biggest possible health impact on the USA of anything in recent memory.

Taste?

Fountain soda, if properly calibrated, is always best.

My problem with soda consistency now centers mostly around Red Bull (which I must admit, I like - A LOT).

Franky, no two damn cans taste alike.

...and $2 a can? @#$%!!!!

18. Anybody ever have Dr. Pepper with pure cane sugar instead of corn syrup? Super hard to find, and very expensive, but amazing nonetheless.

I can't stand sodas served with ice - the water takes away from the flavor.

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    As far as the ice goes....eventually I don't like it because of watered down...but that initial several gulps...mmmmmmmmm

20. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I'm with you on that one. I try not to drink too much soda, but I friggin' loved Vanilla Coke.