1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

varying scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 9, 2004.

1. well, the other day i got to try alembics along side my kubicki and one of the alembics was 32" and i felt so at home on it, but then i picked up a 34" epic and i was struggling like all hell...has this happened to any of you, playing a shorter scale for your main then trying to play a full scale bass and struggled?.....im definately gonna stick with 32" now :D

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been wondering about Scale length myself, but more along the lines of string tension. Don't short-scale basses have floppier strings? -or do players just use heavier ones to make up the difference?

I'd think that a hugely different string tension could be a reason for having to really 'shift gears' when when switching, more so than fret spacing.

Joe

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I didn't notice a really significant string tension change when I picked up a short-scale EB-0 last Monday.

I actually really, really like the short scale factor -- tapping is so much more comfortable. I hate tapping on guitar, 'cause the strings are so damn close together, but the scale makes it so much easier...short scale basses are a great happy medium. In the future, I'm definitely going to spring for either a Kubicki Ex-Factor or a short-scale Alembic, depending on a lot of things (financial situation being the primary).

4. well ive got 45-105's on my kubicki and the GDA strings(32") are as tense as the E(36")

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I own a 34" fretted and a 30" fretless.

No major problems switching between them, really more of a concentration thing.

6. i think its because its almost been a year since i played a 34"... :meh: