Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

varying scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 9, 2004.

1. well, the other day i got to try alembics along side my kubicki and one of the alembics was 32" and i felt so at home on it, but then i picked up a 34" epic and i was struggling like all hell...has this happened to any of you, playing a shorter scale for your main then trying to play a full scale bass and struggled?.....im definately gonna stick with 32" now :D

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been wondering about Scale length myself, but more along the lines of string tension. Don't short-scale basses have floppier strings? -or do players just use heavier ones to make up the difference?

I'd think that a hugely different string tension could be a reason for having to really 'shift gears' when when switching, more so than fret spacing.

Joe

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I didn't notice a really significant string tension change when I picked up a short-scale EB-0 last Monday.

I actually really, really like the short scale factor -- tapping is so much more comfortable. I hate tapping on guitar, 'cause the strings are so damn close together, but the scale makes it so much easier...short scale basses are a great happy medium. In the future, I'm definitely going to spring for either a Kubicki Ex-Factor or a short-scale Alembic, depending on a lot of things (financial situation being the primary).

4. well ive got 45-105's on my kubicki and the GDA strings(32") are as tense as the E(36")

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I own a 34" fretted and a 30" fretless.

No major problems switching between them, really more of a concentration thing.

6. i think its because its almost been a year since i played a 34"... :meh: