Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vase Bassman 100 amp - purchase advice please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Text_Edifice, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Vase (Aussie made) bassman clone (all tube 100w head with 4 x 10" cab) to use as a gigging rig. Price is $450.00 Aus.

I'm playing clubs with a 100-600 capacity on a regular basis and want a vintage amp - my questions are

1) are there any reasons why the Vase will not work for me based on experience (talk me out of it if you can)

2) will 100watts (into 8ohms) - apparently, from what I've read, the head is under rated and puts out 130-160 rms - be loud enough for the venues I'm playing. I play funk / soul stuff and don't have to compete with metal guitar stacks and don't want to fill the room with my amp - I do want to be able to hear what I'm playing, like my tone and be able to fill the stage and immediate area though.

Cheers!

Text_Edifice

2. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    And... I do realise the watts question is 'how long is a piece of string' and have read the sticky thread - I'm really looking for anecdotal evidence from anyone who may have gigged with this or similar (60's / 70's) tube amps as to how they hold up on stage.

Cheers

Text_Edifice

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    depending on how you set your eq the volume could be enough but it won't be clean.

4. Tube amps give the same wattage output on each impedance (aslong as theres a tap for it)

5. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Not too concerned about it being clean - part of the attractino of tube is that it'll be d-i-r-t-y.

Any other recommendations - anyone owned one of these?

6. rossM

rossM

Jun 27, 2005
    sydney australia
    I dont know of these amps but I use a fender bassman (ca 1968-72) 100 watt head - plugged into various speakers- bose 802 - altec 15' - Ev 15 -(depending in where & what I am playing ) . Apart from the fact that Im getting too old to enjoy lugging the thing around - I always come back to using the tube amp- It has never been under powered - but if I was in a band where it was I would probably get out of that band . It really depends on what sound you want . Good luck

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I used a Bassman 135 for a while, and it handled everything I could throw at it volume wise. I wish I still had that amp. :bawl:

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Got a Bassman 100, and it sounds great. Get some fairly efficient speakers (no Acmes) and some decent cone area (1x12 probably wouldn't cut it), and you'll do just fine. They are a great, great amp. You cannot get a bad tone from these.

9. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback - took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a Vase Bassman 100, sounds great, seems to have plenty of volume but is in need of a retube sometime in the immediate future.

I'm hoping to replace the 4 x 10" stack with something a little more portable in the near future - it's friggin huge.

The seller was a really nice guy and I got the amp for a little less than the asking price and he threw in a couple of six packs :bassist:

Looking forward to gigging the rig, but not to lugging the thing up and down stairs...

Cheers.

Text_Edifice

10. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Love to but I can't seem to attach the files. Any ideas?

11. just load them up to photobucket.com then link em :)

12. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Just spent two hours trying to upload images to photobucket.com - not letting me, even when I use an email address. dunno what the go is but it's becoming a hassle, sorry - will try again later when I've got time to mess with it properly.