VB 4 question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Basslover, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Hello everyone,

Though I would love to have Mr. Manring's opinion on this, I would appreciate advice from anyone.

I recently purchased a VB 4. I've always wanted a Zon bass and finally was able to afford one. I love every aspect of it except that my fingers have become a bit sore from tuning the instrument. I like to experiment with altered tuning and have found it a bit difficult as it can be quite tough to tune higher. Does anyone have any recommendations? I had the silly idea of using pliers with duck tape on the ends so I don't damage the tuning knobs. I just don't know.
    Thanks guys,
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Brian,

I’m glad you’re having fun with your VB4! The tuning problem you mentioned is relatively common on headless basses, but the VB4 is actually one of the best I’ve played in that regard. It’s important to keep everything well lubricated and probably a good idea to put a few drops of oil on the sliding parts of the bridge any time you change strings. I find this helps a good bit and I usually don’t have much trouble tuning up beyond standard. Good luck!