1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VB2 Troubleshooting, Tubes Lit, No Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corradoc, Apr 17, 2010.

1. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    So tonight I was using my VB2 at rehearsal, then all of a sudden, it started to get softer and softer....then, nothing. No sound, not even a buzz or hum. I checked all the cables, switched instruments, etc. and still nothing. The tubes are lit like a christmas tree, so I assume they're good. I pulled the fuse out, but it is sand filled or something, so no way to tell if it's bad...plus, the tubes were lit, so that would lead me to believe the fuse is OK.

Anyone have any ideas with this? I'd like to try and troubleshoot before I take it to a tech and spend serious cash. Thanks.

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    :( Bummer.

First things I'd do, in order of "cheapness":

1. Let the amp cool down and try again later, in case it's thermal overload of some sort.

2. Check or replace the fuse. You'll have to buy or borrow a multimeter to check the fuse properly, but a meter is good to have anyway. In the future you'll want to have a few spare fuses as well, especially when gigging.

3. Start swapping tubes. Even if they're lit, doesn't always mean something inside didn't peeter out. You don't have to buy a whole set of tubes mind you, just one of each kind and swap it out one at time, powering the unit down between swaps of course.

4. If none of this works, time to contact either Peavey or a professional, depending on if the unit is still under warranty.

Good luck.

3. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    I'd contact Peavey first. Their tech helped me figure it out over the phone. Also, if you have to take it in, they'll tell you which service center is nearest.

There is a thread on the same issue your describing.

Good luck!

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Seems that the high voltage fuse went out ...it's mounted on the circuit board ... take the amp in

5. Hi.

Sounds like it's going to be cheaper if You take it to a tech ;).

+1 for contacting Peavey first.

The head is quite new? Still under warranty?

While tube amps are generally much easier to repair than their SS counterparts, there's lethal voltages lurking inside the chassis.

If You want to go ahead and open the chassis, be safe.

Regards
    Sam