vba 400 vs. valve preamp/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 27, 2005.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003

since I keep on playing in places where I can't raise the master volume knob above 2-3 on my marshall vba400 all valve head, I am seriously thinking about getting rid of this head (I love the sound.... but at low volumes it's not great...just good....)... I would replace it with a preamp/power amp system... I was thinking about either an ampeg valve preamp or a sansamp rbi...

I am also considering that a valve amp is heavy, fragile and expensive to mantain....

I'm still renting this head, but I finally raised enough money to buy it... but that's 1000 euros, for all you americans over 1300 $....

It's a huge sum of money for me, and I don't know if I should buy an amp head I could never run as it should... 400w of valve power are too loud...! :p

what would you do? any advice?
  2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    If you like it you can buy it, and a a powerbreak.
    I don't know much about this gear but all i know is that it decrease the volume of your amp.
  3. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If you can find a used Trace Elliot V4 it might suit you better. 200 watts, 4-KT88s. All tube. Reliable. And sounds great at ALL volume levels.

I use my V6 (300 watts, 6-KT88s) on very low volume gigs and it still sounds phat and sassy.

I also have an old Sound City Bass 150 (150 watts, 4-KT88s) that is truly outstanding. Phat for days. And when pushed, gives you that Marshall Jack Bruce tone without making your ears bleed. The EQ is also my favorite. I don't really know what frequency centers these things use or how broad the Q is, but it is just so flexible for any room I play.

There's some good stuff in Europe!
  4. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    what about the valve preamp/solid state power amp?

isn't that a good idea??

surely it wont' sound like an all tube head but it could be a nice compromise... considering that I often play in venues where a 100w solid state amp would be enough