1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

vba 400 vs. valve preamp/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 27, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi!

since I keep on playing in places where I can't raise the master volume knob above 2-3 on my marshall vba400 all valve head, I am seriously thinking about getting rid of this head (I love the sound.... but at low volumes it's not great...just good....)... I would replace it with a preamp/power amp system... I was thinking about either an ampeg valve preamp or a sansamp rbi...

I am also considering that a valve amp is heavy, fragile and expensive to mantain....

I'm still renting this head, but I finally raised enough money to buy it... but that's 1000 euros, for all you americans over 1300 $....

It's a huge sum of money for me, and I don't know if I should buy an amp head I could never run as it should... 400w of valve power are too loud...! :p

what would you do? any advice?

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    If you like it you can buy it, and a a powerbreak.
    I don't know much about this gear but all i know is that it decrease the volume of your amp.

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If you can find a used Trace Elliot V4 it might suit you better. 200 watts, 4-KT88s. All tube. Reliable. And sounds great at ALL volume levels.

I use my V6 (300 watts, 6-KT88s) on very low volume gigs and it still sounds phat and sassy.

I also have an old Sound City Bass 150 (150 watts, 4-KT88s) that is truly outstanding. Phat for days. And when pushed, gives you that Marshall Jack Bruce tone without making your ears bleed. The EQ is also my favorite. I don't really know what frequency centers these things use or how broad the Q is, but it is just so flexible for any room I play.

There's some good stuff in Europe!

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    what about the valve preamp/solid state power amp?

isn't that a good idea??

surely it wont' sound like an all tube head but it could be a nice compromise... considering that I often play in venues where a 100w solid state amp would be enough