Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VBass = GAS cure?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, May 7, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    How many of you Vbass owners stopped looking at other processors after you bought it?

I just got mine today (thanks Mike!) and I really can't believe it. After I got the pup sensitivity set . . . the # of effects here is amazing and most sound great, and I haven't even tweaked them yet! I used to spend so much time scouring ebay and HC for gear, how was I to know all these tones are in one (expensive) box? What will I do w/ my time now? If the gear shopping addiction is pointless, I'll have to, like, play my bass or something!

I'll have to spend time with it to make sure it will really work for me, but it already has me considering retiring, if not outright selling, some really nice processors like my Deep Impact, Korg G5, Unibass, Bass Harmony Machine, GR77b, midibass, etc. Wowzers! :bassist:

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Unfortunately, it hasn't been a GAS cure for me. I've had it a year and a half now, and haven't used it nearly as much as I have other boxes. I really haven't had the time to do as much tweeking as I'd like to do with it. Anyhow, since I've had the VBass I've added a Deep Impact, Real Tube, Whammy 4, SCF+, Synth Bass Wah, and I'm sure some others, but can't really keep up with them off the top of my head. :meh: Unfortunately, because of my XWire, and the type gigs I usually end up getting, I see the stompboxes getting more use than the VBass ever will. Maybe someday.... :sigh:

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hmm... Well I can see how if you need to go wireless the Vbass is definitely out. I think it does a good job replacing boxes like the Whammy, Deep Impact and XBW. I haven't tweaked it yet, but the TE model doesn't sound quite as good as my TE SM7 eq. I guess I won't really know until I try it live.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No, it definitely isn't like that Trace EQ! :D I plan to really spend some time with the VBass this summer, so hopefully I'll get it adjusted some. Alot of the bass simulations I find are pretty dang close, as well as most of the amps (from what I can tell having only heard most of the amps, not actually played them). All in all, I absolutely love having the VBass around, and though I don't use it all that much now, I know the day will come that I'll be really glad I have it, and use it to its full potential.

5. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Guys. I've had my V-Bass for about 9 months now and it really makes other fx look & sound futile by comparison!

The polyphonic nature of the processor is the biggest drawcard for me... who could go back to single-note-at-a-time fx when massive chord pads and synth double stops are right at your fingertips!!!

The amp & bass models are good enough for live use but probably not studio-worthy. The rest of the standard fx are sound great to me and so customisable!

The assignable buttons on the pickup processor mean I can mute/tune in between songs, alter the volume mix and bypass the GK-2B all without having to go near the pedal.

Honestly, I can no longer imagine gigging without it and hope I never have to! I just hope Roland continue to support it.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I programmed it for a few hours today, and a/bed it with my regular pedalboard. While I still like my pedals, the Roland is just incredibly flexible and it sounds great now that I've figured out how to enter my own eq settings. It is definitely worth the money I spent. I can't wait to use it w/ the band!

7. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi,

I am selling my V-Bass with pick up if anyone wants it. I loved the unit but just don't use it. I have turned it on twice!! That's it.

Let me know.

8. its also hasn't been the cure-all for me either. Its a great unit, very flexible and contains many decent sounds and patches. I'm hoping over the next few yrs Roland will continue to update the patches to give us more pedalbox models. I still end up using my TE dual band compressor, sounds more musical to me and squashes much less. I also use my TE quad chorus box as I have found nothing that will provide the quadchorus effect. Lastly, I've found that playing w/ the vbass live has made me do slightly more tap dancing/knob tweeking than i'd like. Its great to program patches at home, where its quiet, relaxed and focused, but live those same patches all of a sudden sound dull, loose out bottom end or worse, are really loud (patch to patch volume is quite different), and its hard to change something mid stream. So I've had some playing issues that I'd like to resolve, but overall the vbass is a good work in progress
    frank

9. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Has anyone tried the upright acoustic bass sound in the V-Bass? I play bass guitar with jazz/dance combos and an 18 piece big band and was wondering if this could give me that upright bass sound. Of course, the V-Bass would be a rather expensive way to get that sound, and I don't think Duke Ellington tunes call for much in the way of chorus, distortion or bass synth. (Although it would be different!) :smug:

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Most people rave about the upright bass models, but I'm not into them. My band does 2 or 3 tunes that they would be useful for, but I haven't gotten one edited to where I like it yet. My favorite patches right now are most of the synths, some octavers, slap, svt, active TE, and one fretless patch that I worked hard at tweaking. It sounds great now, I'm sure glad I didn't have to spend years developing my intonation so I could sound this good on a real fretless :) :eek:

11. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks for the info, jondog. I guess I'll just pass on the V-Bass. It's also a bit expensive for what use I would put it to. Unless I get into a band that plays a bit more contemporary music.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, last night was the first time I gigged my new Vbass -- it passed the acid test w/ flying colors. It will definitely be replacing my pedalboard. I'm still learning how to use it, so I just programmed 8 patches that fit w/ our tunes and I think I used 'em all. My synth solo was awesome! My favorite amp model was the Bassman, which is odd because I don't like the real Bassmen I've played, but I tweaked the patch eq a lot at home and it was worth it. I need to teach myself how to use manual mode next.

I only have one B1D pup, so for my 2nd bass I used the 1/4" input and amp models. It worked great *except* that the 1/4" cuts the GK signal so you have physically plug and unplug that 1/4" cable. Is there any way around this? If I get another GK pup, do they sell an A/B box or would I have to un/plug that cable too?

If anyone is looking for a case, the CNB pedalboards at www.rondomusic.com will fit.