Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VBass happiness inspired a tune!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 20, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm a happy guy. I got my Vbass back from getting repaired after only 4 months...:eek:

I blew the transformer when I plugged it into a studio outlet that had been miswired for 220V (Don't ask...).

Anyway, I was so glad when I got it back, I added some organ and other stuff to a loop track I had recorded a couple of days ago with my new Boss looper.

The bass loop and normal sounding instrument are my Cort Curbow Retro 4 string with Labella tapewound strings through my Fishman Pro Platinum II. The organ and "wow" sounds are my US Curbow 5 string with unknown steelwound strings from the survey through the VBass into the Fishman.

The whole thing is pretty goofy. I was just enjoying having the VBass back, and noodled. :D

Now that I've got my 8 track hooked back up to my computer, expect me to post periodic goofy things, a la fhodson. ;)

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/vbasshappy.mp3

Anyway, I hope someone gets a kick out of it. :bassist:

2. Like, far out, man.. :D
    Seriously, it sounds really good. That thing makes such cool sounds. Lookin' forward to hearing it in action again on a gig.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nice. Glad you got it back finally.
    Wish we could go for the V-trio this weekend, maybe next time...

Hoping to hear lots more of what the V can do from. Mine just languishes in storage for now. Going to let our bassist borrow it for a while and see what he comes up with.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hooked back up with some of the guys i used to play with back in the day. the drummer has gone the v drum route and the keyboard player... well he plays keys... NO AMPS!!!!
    i though about selling the rig and goin v bass but man i think i would miss the amp..... what if the place we play has crap for p a? we'd be screwed on drums too.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    LOVE IT!

i'll never get rid of my VBass/Lightwave setup!

haven't had a chance to fart around with it for a while.

nice slow lopin' tooon there.

thanks!

f

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That's pretty much the route we took...and man is it worth it! I love gigging this way.
    Only downside, you gots ta OWN the PA.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    see which is a cost in and of itself

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    make the singer buy it.;)

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thats probably gonna be me!lol
    or all 3 people singing.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey! You guys get yer own durned thread to discuss PAs, and singin', and stuff! :mad:

This thread is about ME, ME, ME! :D

Heh...while it was gone, I seriously thought about selling the VBass once I got it back, but I don't think that is going to happen. It makes me too happy to go bworp, bworp, bworp.

Expect more wacky tunes.

Okay, you guys can go back to talking about drummers, poodles, woodworking, or whatever the heck you want to talk about in my thread.

Hee hee.....:bassist:

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :D Heh.

Awww.....shucks. You guys can talk about whatever you want in my thread.;)

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Wow, I dig it.

Now make one that's 20 minutes long using the 8 string! :D

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Cool track. My V-Bass hasn't seen much use lately, either, Mark, so don't feel bad. I can't wait to hear what Tony can do with it this weekend! It'll probably make me want to put mine back in the box. Lately I've just been using the J-Retro stompbox at gigs, sans amps, but next gig I'm gonna take the V-Bass to see how that goes.
    Hmm...maybe that'll be on the agenda for Bass Summit IV: Help Adron set up the GK-2b on his 5 string. :D

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I thinking of that; my V-amp Pro goes to work tomorrow. Gonna use it at my day job. I videotape County Council meetings for the Library. Good gig, but...Bad thing, audio was given the short end. I taking a feed from a system designed for computer dictation and room reinforcement. I have no direct control over 14 mics, with speakers of varying vocal abilities and mic awareness. So sound is uneven at best (not counting distortion and noise from the computer soundcards) So, I setting up my own audio sys, using Library stuff and my own equipment(for now). I'm gonna use the Behringer to Compress, Model a Tube Amp, eq and added just enough reverb to remove the 'Lips in my Ear' effect I'm getting now.

17. You know, that tune is even goofier than the stuff I come up with on V-Bass. So how come it sounds so much cooler when you do it? :cool: I'm still trying to convince myself to write a tune with the AbSynth patch, just because I like it and it would freak our drummer out...

Mike

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. I'm home sick from work today--my girlfriend caught a cold from someone at her law school orientation last week, and I finally fell victim to the bug (aka SARS) yesterday. I think I'll record something today with the AbSynth patch while I'm doped up on NyQuil, and call it "Typhoid Mary." :D

lbanks--thanks for the kind (waaay too kind) comparison to R Carter, but I'm fairly convinced I stole that groove from Led Zeppelin...

I'm in the process of recording sound samples of all of my basses (even the 8 string--but, not 20 minutes worth...yeesh). Unfortunately, they all suck so far. :meh:

SoCom--you must play the VBass to love the VBass...