1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VCR/DVD combos

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 29, 2009.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I'm old. I bought one of these since our vcr crapped out. The old one had jacks in the back to hook the cable in and cable out to. The new one doesn't have these. Only the colored jacks. Are the cable in/out jacks old tech now? Do I go direct to the tv with the cable and then use the other jacks for connections?

Also, this one only had, on the front, jacks for video in and audio in. The old bugger had jacks for video in, audio in left and audio in right. My kids use the front jacks for their video game systems. Help! I'm bringing this one back but also, any recommendations on a good one? Thanks.

2. Yep, you no longer use the coaxial cable connection. If your TV isn't as old as your last VCR (;)) you should have inputs for the cable and both the VCR side and the DVD side. One main difference is instead of changing the TV to channel 3 to view the VCD/DVD you have to select the correct input on the TV. The one you plugged either the VCR or DVD. Your remote may say something like "TV/Video" and it will cycle through all the inputs.

This all depends on which TV you have. What make and model do you have?
    If it's older you may have to get some kind of an adapter.

I'm not sure on this one. There are usually three. The one marked audio more than likely is a digital input that would carry both right and left channels. What make and model is it?

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm 58 - so I'm old, too. It's no excuse even for us old farts. The solution is simple - read the manual and you'll get the info you need. If you don't have the manual, check the manufacturer's site online. Here's the general skinny:

Video out goes to video in, audio out left and right go to audio in left and right. Absolutely nothing complicated about it.

Standard color coding is video=yellow, audio left=white, audio right=red. Yellow in this kind of cable setup is composite video, meaning that all the color information is in one connector.

If you have component video outputs from the unit, you can only use them if you have matching component inputs on the TV. Those are blue, green and red connectors if memory serves. At any rate, component video breaks out various components of the video signal, unlike composite video. Only a high-end TV will have those connectors. If yours has them, a complete connection requires using the three video connectors plus audio left and right - 5 connections total. Get cables made for this - but don't spend money on Monster cables - Wal-Mart stuff works great.

If you have video/audio inputs both front and back, you're set. If not, you're either going to have to get a new TV or watch the output of the DVD/VCR through the antenna connection (the threaded connector) on the combo, which will not give you nearly as good a picture as the video and audio inputs would. If your TV doesn't have at least two sets of A/V inputs (front and back), it's time to upgrade.

Read the manual for the combo and the TV. All of this is explained.

4. I think the new ones don't have a coax connect anymore because there's no analog tuner built in like the older ones (pre 2007) - having no coax input means it's digital only. You can't watch one channel, and record on another anymore. Big time bummer! :mad:

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    who records on a vcr these days? DVRs have two tuners built in so you can record one thing and watch another. Or record two things at once.

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    first of all, a comobo, is kind of like a comb over, but more with a mini obo thrown into the mix. so i dont know what you guys are talking about

7. Pilgrim

Hey, combos are inexpensive and worthwhile, especially if you have an established library of VHS and want to watch it occasionally. I agree that DVRs record nicely, but they don't create portable media unless you connect a DVD burner to them (which I have on mine...) and burn a copy to some other medium. If you want to move a recording from one place to another for viewing and don't have an output format handy, you're screwed unless you have a sophisticated network setup to move the file...which the OP obviously does not have.

8. crikker

crikker Yooper Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Ok, got it running. I can watch VHS or DVDs. We set up the game system with only the one audio jack hooked to the front of the player. It sounds good to me. Is there some kind of splitter box setup that would allow me to plug the player into one set of jacks, the game systems into another and then the splitter into the tv? Some way to have them all hooked in then move a switch to whatever component I'd like to use?>

9. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Yes, you can get an av switch device at wally world or target or wherever.

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    radio shack
    adapters they have

11. A lot of people do that don't have DTV yet :rolleyes:

12. Pilgrim

AMEN! There are a lot of people who don't want or need a DVR.

And yes, you can buy switches that allow you to connect two sets of inputs (game and DVD/VCR combo) to a single input on the set. Just switch between them. Check Radio Shaft.