1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Veasley's Fretless Tone On "Celebrating Sipho"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I usually don't care for Gerald Veasley's tone, but his fretless tone on "Celebrating Sipho" from the At The Jazz Base! album is sick!! Anybody else have this one?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Are you sure it's fretless? I have that cut off both a Bassics sampler CD and the CD itself. I thought it was simply Veasley playing his usual bass with the only the back pickup and a light touch. That said, the track is really killer!

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I happened to have that CD at work and I just played that track again. I'm certain that bass was fretted. Veasley simply has excellent touch.

4. You know, as I was typing and listening, I asked myself the same question, and was thinking, well they are Bartolini's, so it could be a fretted. There is just so much growl and bite that I thought a player of his caliber could have such good intonation that it could be hard to tell.

You are right, killer track!

5. Just pulled a "bite" up on iTunes, and that's a killer sound. Punchy and clean. Love it. Might just have to buy that one! Thanks!

6. His band if frickin' tight. It has that "Island" feel to it without being annoying, which isn't easy! I'm still not convinced that it isn't a fretless. After listening to a couple of the solo sections at the end. I've been playing for 17 years, and have had dozens fretless and fretted basses, and I really can't say for sure. That's pretty bad!

Join the debate!

BTW - Bread Puddin' off of that CD is another great jam!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually that tune has a South African feel to it. Even the name Sipho is a common one in South Africa.

8. I stand corrected. Thanks Doc.

9. I always thought it was a fretless too. I'll have to go back and listen to it though to make sure.

10. Man! Now I definately have to buy the tune! Call it 99 cents for "research" and write it off!!!

11. Help us out here, gottawalk, we need more input. At .99, whether it is fretted or fretless, you are getting a great tune!

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just realized that "Celebrating Sipho" must be dedicated to the late South African smooth jazz bassist, Sipho Gumede, who died in 2004, I think. He actually is a bit like Gerald Veasley, but less guitar like. I have two of his CDs that I got the last time I was in South Africa, "Live at the Bassline" (2000) and "African Sunrise" (2004). You can find his CDs in www.sheer.co.za

Smooth jazz is really big in South Africa, it not surprising that there was mutual admiration between Gerald Veasley and Sipho Gumede.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    IIRC gerald dosn't play frettless much if at all

14. Get the song off of iTunes and let us know what you think.

15. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    checked it out and IMO it's not fretless.it sound's like all bridge pickup played in a south african township style