1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vector a Logo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Worshiper, May 3, 2010.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if someone could do me a HUGE favor and vectorize a logo for me? Its a really simple design, I just dont know how to do it. Thank you SOOO much in advance to anyone who could help me out here!

~Tim

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Could we see it?

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    5dtopf.

4. Lemme try... I know I can convert objects from bitmap in CorelDRAW... but this will be my first attempt. I'll have to clean up the image though, for the auto-tools to get better line detection.

5. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Here's a first try. It's close to bedtime though. Can probably do better tomorrow when I can concentrate.

What filetype are you looking for: eps, svg, emf? Are you loading it into something to change the color, fill it in, etc.?

Angie

Edit: I'll likely be at work when you log back in, so here's the files that match these thumbnails. The zip includes an svg, an emf, and a eps. I don't work with eps files so you're all alone on that one. :D I can tell you it's saved as Illustrator CS3, TIFF 8-bit color. The svg and emf work across platforms so they should be no problem.

Cheers.
    Worshiper's stuff

Attached Files:

6. Well... here's my attempt at it... I have no clue if I did it right since it's the first time I've worked with vectors... or even in CorelDRAW itself (I use one of the other corel apps almost exclusively). I saved it in .svg format as it seems to be the most prominent. You will need a vector graphics viewer or graphics app that can open/handle .svg files.

http://www.morbidlegionwoodsball.com/random/CTlogovectored.svg

7. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Hi Auzzie:

What version of CorelDraw are you using? The package used to come with a program called Corel Trace. Is it still in there?

8. I'm using x4... though I also have version 10 (which contains both R.A.V.E. and Trace). Version x4 (14) integrated trace into CorelDRAW, as well as integrated several of the other utilities, and got a slight GUI facelift. It's pretty affordable too... one version behind current, and it was less than $190 via amazon. Though I do miss corel texture. That's no longer a part of the corel suite. Photo-paint gained a few slightly new tricks, but is otherwise the exact same program as it was in version 10. Kai's photo-goo is not included as a feature of photopaint in either 10 or x4, though I heard it is part of 11 and 12.

9. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    wow! awesome guys! Thank you soooooo much! Im using photoshop/illustrator so I can save as a variety of files. I plan on using the logo as either just the vector drawing or filled in black. A. Diva, can you tell me how you did this? I really want to learn all I can about illustrator. I think I'm only using about $12 of the program as of now. haha. Thanks again!

10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York

I'm not sure which file is best. Im used to using Photoshop, illustrator is relatively new to me. Im most comfortable with psd files. I dont know how to fill in color in illustrator... Im playing around with the files now, but I cant exactly seem to get it into a format that is "color fill friendly."

12. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Make sure you're not impinging on any copyrighted material ;)

logo-georgia.

13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I think its a CT, not GT although I could be wrong.

I could do this in CAD tomorrow, my mouse at home sucks for CAD.

14. Since the overall design of the college logo as a whole uses a particular styling, I wouldn't worry about infringing on their wordmark/imagemark. You can't copyright letters, so in the instance of the graphic it's all up to the design used for the imagemark.

For example: you can use the letters OSU all day long. But when you make them in the block letter format used by Ohio State University, you then are infringing on their imagemark and are then on the wrong side of a lawsuit. However I see your point made about infringement, meaning that the OP has to do some research. Just thought I'd expand a bit on how the trademark/copyright works for logo images.

To the op: .svg stands for scalable vector graphic. It was created to be cross platform as a standard file type, rather than program specific (.ai- adobe illustrator, .cdw- coreldraw), mainly for use on the web. There should be quite a few adobe illustrator tutorials that can explain rastering (vectoring) images. For the issue of fill friendly saving, I'd say that might be more of an issue with the embedded data. One of the options you might want to include in your vector graphic would be the ICC color profile. This will tell whatever program you use precisely how to display the color of the fill.

If you are noticing gaps in your fills, that means there is some data in the image that needs to be cleaned up from the original bitmap image. In the case of your logo, I opened it in Corel Photo-Paint, and used the eraser tool to remove as much of the extra stuff from the image (paper scan, etc...), then took a paintbrush over the logo character edges to reinforce them for when I used the trace bitmap option in CorelDRAW. It could also be an issue with how you are converting the logo, in terms of detail level or trace method used. Centerline trace works ok... but in this case, it didn't do a stellar job. Options such as "detailed logo" provide different results... tinker around with them.

15. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Agree!

Inkscape
    The Gimp
    NVU

The perfect trifecta of open source graphic/web editing software.

16. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The quick and dirty for Photoshop:

-open a new Photoshop file
    -make a new layer (just a habit for me, I like to keep a clean copy on a separate layer in case I mess up)
    -use the File | Place command to bring in the .eps file
    -choose the Paint Bucket tool
    -choose your color
    -when you click on the logo, you'll be warned that it has to be rasterized to proceed, choose OK
    -then you'll be able to fill in a color using the Paint Bucket
    -be mindful though, that the logo will no longer be a vector and you lose the advantage of resizing without the jaggies (technical term, bwahahahaaa)

My lunchtime is over. I'll have to write down what I did in Illustrator when I get home.

17. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
  18. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've been vacillating (sp?) on whether to upgrade and work on getting my skills back. My CorelDraw is version 9! :meh:

Since they no longer sell a Mac version, I'd have to continue maintaining my Windows desktop . . . which right now I'm ready to kick down the street. Hate HP. Hate AMD. Hate Vista. Hate Windows in general (except for gaming). Yes, I'm full of haterade. :D

19. Now now... there's no reason to hate AMD... HP, yes... Vista... most definitely. But not AMD.