Vector Marketing Services

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 24, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Since I'm enrolled in college, I recieved a letter in the mail today, saying that this Vector company has sales positions opening for college students. Both the letter and the website were rather ambiguous, but from what I gather, it's not a telesales position.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is about. Is this one of those door-to-door soliciting jobs? Is this a crap sales position aimed at college students? ect.
  2. dude, if you need a job go out and apply. never trust junk mail. you'll get a lot of it in your college years.
  3. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, if you need a job I say go for it, you can always quit or after the interview decide it's not for you. My brother got something similar when he started college and it ended up being a job where he calls people and surveys them for random companies like pepsi, etc. He says the pay is decent and hours are flexible but the job isnt the best. If they have to blanket the campus to get applicants then the job is probably not the greatest.
  4. maybe i didn't make myself clear... DO NOT take a job offered in the mail... go out and get a job on your own.
    also, do not get a credit card that was offered through the mail. go to your bank.
    do not go in for those student loan deduction pieces of crap you get in the mail. again, go to your bank.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the replys.

I don't really need a job, I'm in the midst of starting my own business, plus I'm getting paid fairly well for gigging, but making a little scratch on the side wouldn't be bad. Plus, I've decided to do things a little bit different, this time through college. (such as building a good resume, and getting good references) I guess the least I could do is call, though I don't expect this to be a great position.
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Vector Marketing Services sells Cutco cutlery. Decent product, but from what I've heard, it's not worth working there. They pressure you to sell to just about everyone and belittle you if you can't make the sales. Better to go to a temp agency(Manpower or similar) to look for a job.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Getting a job where I live is easier said than done. I live in a place where unemployment is 2% higher than the nation's rate. It's a competitve market getting a position at Wal-mart. Hence, why I'm starting my own business, and I play music.

Don't worry, I have no plans of getting a credit card anytime soon. ;)
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the info. That's enough for me not to call. Like I said, I don't NEED the job, but I was wondering if it would be looking into for the money/reference. The business I'm starting relies heavily on sales, but it's an entirely different market and approach to sales. Thanks for the info.
  9. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    exactly. selling knives door to door = no fun.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Okay, I checked out some articles on this. By the sounds of it, it's all about finding clients and then selling them merchandaise.That's what I'm already doing with my own business, so there really wouldn't be any point in this. By the sounds of things, you're considered an indepdent contractor, which makes me wonder if you would get hit with all of the same taxes that any other self-employed person would. It doesn't really make that much sense; if you want to sell things you can just do it yourself. It doesn't cost that much to register yourself as an S-Corporation. Oh well, I guess they're counting on college kids to not know that.

I'm definatley passing on this. Thanks guys. :)