1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vegan,Vegetarian, or Pescetarian

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    So a few months ago, I said I was thinking about doing the Vegetarian thing for various reasons. I am in my second day and as it turns out, I can substitute animal milk with soy, and its pretty good, but I now know that to be Vegetarian, you cannot eat Fish or Chicken, and Vegans take it a step further by not consuming any animal dairy products as well. Seems like one of the reasons for this is the abuse of animals in the process of getting these foods to the human population. I don't want to get into any of that because I am sure it is deeper than I care to go, and I am sure those for or against it think they are right. At any rate, since I thought Vegetarian did at least eat fish, but dont, there is a term called Pescetarian, like Vegetarians, no meat, but consider fish ok. I guess that is where I am for now. I am curious, all of you fellow bassheads who have gone away from the meat thing, What are you substituting for the meat you use to eat? Right now, I am doing Oatmeal for breakfast, Peanut butter and jelly for lunch, and a salad for Dinner, with protein drinks in between. Tofu:spit: ....I kind of wanted to do this for health reasons vs Politcal. I think it will have its benefits for sure. I sure would like to hear from you all.

Much respect to all:cool:

Bring it ....

2. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have not eaten anything that walks, swims, or flys for 3 weeks and I dont miss it. I would never be a vegan, for I do use dairy products as cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. I dont drink milk, instead I drink soy or rice milk, which to me taste better. I use to eat alot of chicken and hardly ever red meat, so the change was very easy. For example I had a cheese enchilada dinner, that had rice and beans, and I did not miss any form of meat. I eat alot greek salads, veggie patties, fruit, fiber filled breads etc. cheese pizza. I may sneak in fish here and there, but, I feel better and will continue.

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Meat, I don't miss it, or "substitute for it". Just eat healthy food and you'll be fine. What do you think will be missing from your diet?

4. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm a level 5 vegan; I don't eat anything that casts a shadow

5. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I worked chicken, fish and pork out of my diet by replacing them with servings of beef. I have never felt better!!!!!

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Soylent green. I only eat Soylent Green.

...it's people, y'know... ;) :p

7. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I have been Pesco Vegetarian (there is no such term as Pescatarian) for a year and half now, I have never been healthier or happier, it is brilliant!

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'll take the meat products, they're awesome.

9. I'm a Pizzaterian. I will eat anything sitting on top of a pizza crust, animal, vegetable or mineral.

10. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Curious about Vegans, why not milk or cheese? I can't imagine any animals are harmed by milking a cow to get milk, nor in the process of cheese, so this must be a health only issue yes????

11. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Try to be careful with soy consumption, it promotes estrogen growth. Unless you're a woman that is, or want to be.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    To quote the wisdom of Homer Simpson " If God didn't want us to eat the animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat":D

13. Protein. The only natural sources are meat and fungi.

I know a few people who've been raised vegetarian, they seem perfectly healthy and have never eaten meat in their lives. I supose going pesco makes a lot of sense - your not missing natural sources of protein and fish is very healthy.

Personally i like meat way too much to do anything like this :cool:

14. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    You're kidding. Come on, there's so much protein! :crying:

Tofu doesn't really have any flavor, so if you try mixing it up in like a smoothie or on top of a pizza (try being creative), it might not be as bad.

15. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    "Shake hands with beef"

Yah don't make friends with salad, Yah don't make friends with salad, yah don't make friends with salad, Comeon guys! join in!!

Yah Don't make friends with salad!

16. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

http://articles.guidemegreen.com/articles/376/1/Pesco-pollo-Vegetarianism

From what I understand, this term does exist, but is not excepted by the Vegetarian Community, I can do the Pesco thing as well:cool: Heck, apparently there are more terms associated with this then I thought.:cool:

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't understand what you guys are worrying about. If you don't feel like eating meat, it's of course fine, but there's no reason to follow stupid rules saying "you can't eat this, you can't eat that". And what's the point in eating cheese but not drinking milk?

18. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    For over 20 years...

I'm also an excellent cook.

So I know how to hook it up in the kitchen.

19. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Oh come on, do a little research. Protein is the single most overconsumed element of our diet. Few people need to even think about it unless you're doing strength training.

* Amaranth*
    * Cereals and grains - buckwheat*, rye, corn, rice, pasta...
    * Leafy green vegetables, including spinach
    * Legumes - beans, lentils, peas, peanuts
    * Nutritional yeast*
    * Nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews...
    * Quinoa*
    * Seaweed - spirulina*, kelp ...
    * Seeds - hemp*, sesame, sunflower...
    * Soy* products - tofu, tempeh, soy milk...
    * Vegetables - Brussel sprouts, potatoes, yuca

(stolen from theveggietable.com)

Hmm, hemp seeds? Do you get protein from smoking weed?

20. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    To be honest, I was exaggerating a bit for sure. I'd google "soy estrogen" and read a little. Its a big debate that I know very little about.