Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vehicle for 3/4 size string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by A Green, Sep 4, 2005.

1. A Green

A Green

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

I promised I would drive some more lunatic musicians around, but this time they have a string bass instead of a massive Acoustic 360...

Can a string bass fit in a mini-van, like a Dodge Caravan or the like...?

Does it take up ALL the room?

Also, why are bass players such a problem, all the time?

A Green

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have been able to fit my 3/4 double bass into a Geo Metro! Back seat down; still enough room for a person in the passenger seat. Sometimes the scroll would bump the shifter, but it wasn't a big deal.

I've also been able to fit my bass in a Honda Civic hatchback.

The bass has also fit nicely into 4 door sedans. Front passenger seat goes down and the bass rests in a diagonal fashion. Still enough room for a passenger in the rear right seat.

Mini-Van; not a problem. Still room for driver and 2 to 3 passengers.

Joe

3. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I have a PT Cruiser. I lay down one of the two back seats and still have room for 2 other passengers, a cooler of liquid carbohydrates, and an amp.

Bass players aren't a problem. It is those darn piano players that insist on using their big ol' piano at gigs that are a problem.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I get 2 (TWO) 7/8 size Basses in my Buick Rendevous on their sides with the rear seats down. One Bass is a piece of cake! I also get them in the Explorer as well.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Geez...how come I can only fit one bass in a VW Passat sedan with no passengers (well, one riding in the rear drivers-side)? Am I going about things the wrong way? I put the front passenger seat back down, stick the bass in the passenger seat with the scroll where your feet would normally go, and seat belt her in. The back of the body rests totally on the seat back with the bottom of the neck/neck block on the bottom part of the seat. (A method similar to this was shown in the Evolvoing Bassist book for airplane use.)

I have tried the back seat, back seat/trunk thing, etc., with no success.

:crying:

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    they also fit in a volkswagon beetle , new and vintage.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You need one of these :D

Seriously though... A standard sedan does alright with 1 passenger- you can't expect to get more than a bass and 1 passenger into a sedan. Wagons, hatchbacks, and Minivans are easy to get a a passenger into when you are hauling basses. My caprice wagon will hold 3 basses with 1 passenger!!!

8. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I've gotten my large 7/8 CCB in my two-door buick skyhawk before. The scroll had to stick out the window (it was in a case) and I had some towels covering the door edge where it rested. Could probably have gotten a passenger in the back seat, too.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Man! I followed your entire thread about the violin. Definitely let me know when you update it. A great read about a lot of work!

RayParkerBassPlayer@hotmail.com

10. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Thankyou. I update it nearly everyday, actually, as I progress.

11. I get two 3/4 size basses into my Toyota RAV4 (small SUV), and still have room for one passenger. The two rear seat backs go down, and the two basses are placed in the back, bridges facing each other, necks together passing between the front seats. All that is needed is a small pillow between the basses just above the level of the bridges.

12. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Focus Wagon: (25 mpg)
    Bass, 30" Stool, EB, 2 teenagers & all their soccer gear.

But it's been in the shop a lot lately.

Rented a Toyata Matrix this week end: (30/36 mpg)
    Bass, 2 teenagers w/ soccer gear. But I may have to get a shorter stool.

13. i'm gonna check a bass at a local store over the weekend but i figured i would ask here first: has anyone here ever fitted an upright (3/4) in a four door 94 nissan sentra or a similar vehicle? i'm about ready to get into the upright world but if it means the bass won't fit in my car i will be one sad newbie as getting a new car isn't an option at the moment.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not a Sentra but I've gotten it in an Altima. It was a bit tight, but it fit. I have a buddy who can fit one in a Geo Metro, so I would think that you could fit it in a Sentra.

15. I can get two 7/8 basses (back to back) into my Hyundai Elantra GT Hatch-back. Plus one passenger.

16. I took my upright with me when I went car shopping. Walked into dealerships and explained that the first criterion was ease of bass transport. Salespeople have been very cooperative.

That being said, I had an '86 SAAB 900 when I first bought an upright. The bass fit in the car with plenty of room to spare. Since the SAAB I've driven a Subaru Legacy wagon. I can transport myself, 2 passengers and the bass with no problem.

17. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    must be a very tolerant passenger Paul!

I could easily get a 3/4 bass into a VW jetta, the four door sedan model. Lower the passenger seat and go in through the passenger side door

I can get my 7/8 shen into my Pt Cruiser and manage two passengers--that was the test whenn i got the PT--could I get the bass, a small amp, my wife and son into the car at the same time?

The 7/8 bass is pretty damn big though. I miss the 3/4 size sometimes

18. Not a problem at all. The passenger seat stays straight up, the basses go in back to back on their sides, and the scrolls are piggy-back and rest on the console between the bucket seats.

19. thanks guys! i feel better:) i was thinking that once this thread is "done" maybe a good place for it would be in the newbie links. i'm sure plenty of electric guys like me will be asking the same question once they decide to venture in the upright world.