1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Velcro questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mixerman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hook on board, loop on pedal

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Hook on pedal, loop on board

34 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. mixerman

mixerman

Sep 19, 2006
    WoodRidge, NJ
    Out of curiosity, do people put the hook side on their pedals and loop side on their boards? Or the other way around? I know it shouldn't matter, but if I ever end up trading around pedals, it'd be preferable to match up to whatever most people are doing.

Also, for people that own boards that come covered, was it loop side on the board?

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Mine came with loop on the board. The insufficient quantity of loop side likes to peel off the double sided tape when it's hot. I get to practice and my pedals are all a-jumble or I try to move a pedal and the velcro stays but the tape let's go of it.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Neither. 3M Dual Lock only comes in one flavour: awesome.

4. Since the hook affixes into most flat carpet. It make more sense to use the Hook on the pedal.

5. +1

6. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, it also comes in expensive - a small pack of it costs $15 at my local hardware store. And I'm out of the stuff for my pedalboard. This is going to be a fun week.:crying:

7. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    hook on pedal, loop on board. dont really know why i did it this way, it just seem ed more sensible for some reason. but the fact that it sticks to carpet pretty well this way when the pedals are off the board does tend to help if im using my tuner or something without everything else

8. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Hook on the pedal, loop on the board. Every pedal I have ever bought used came like that too.

9. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. That's what I'm using now...

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Hook on pedals, loop on board. That's the way my board came so I had no choice.

11. That's if you actually WANT it to stick to carpet, which I don't.

The hook side is completely frictionless on a hardwood floor. (The loop side isn't great either, but it's marginally better!)

12. every pedal i've ever put velcro on the glue lets go after a while and the pedal breaks loose. Now i use black electrical wire (the solid core stuff for inside your house) and just bend it to fit over the pedals, then bend a loop at each end, securing each side with a screw. Never comes loose, never comes off, never goes anywhere.

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    hook (or what I call "angry side") on pedal, loop (or what I call "fuzzy side" ...yes very technical terms!)on board for me.
    I use 3M industrial strength velcro on my board. I constantly forget my pedalboard in the car, and after 6 months I have not had a single problem with pedals coming loose from the glue wearing off. At the same time however, it's a huge ordeal to get the velcro off the pedals if you wanted it off. :D

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I put the hook side on the pedals. I dont have a loop side, I built my own board and instead used a small carpet that actually holds better than velcro loops. Of the 8 pedals on my board I've only had a problem with the adhesive coming loose on my boss FS-5U, which after re-doing with a new piece is no longer a problem.

15. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hook on pedal, loop on board. i've never had a problem with the velcro i use, which is the "industrial strength" variety. badass.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dave... where do you get your stuff?

Oh! And I've got an interview on Friday... at 8am. :rolleyes:

17. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    amazon.com or the hardware store. there's an Ace on Ventura between Fulton and Coldwater Canyon... or Home Depot... somewhere.

good luck in your interview! :)

18. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Lame joke, nuff said. :bag:
    Actually I remembered another reason that I use the hook side on my pedals. I used to have a carpet-covered rack case, and I used one of the pull-off doors as a make-shift pedalboard before I bought a pedalboard. :D I also have never received a used pedal with the loop side of the velcro on it, but personally I'd probably be annoyed that I had to remove the velcro and add some new velcro on. Which I could understand happening if the situation were reversed on someone else buying one of my pedals... Maybe I'll add that in to the details the next time I sell a pedal. :D

19. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    wow. [​IMG]

:D

20. I am digressing a bit from the OP but I am building up a few pedals now and wondering about velcro versus the wire tie option on a DIY board. But since we're discussing velcro... do you guys rip off the rubber feet? Seems I'd go the cable tie option just to avoid this.