1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Velcro - Which side goes on the pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Sorry if this has been covered a few million times and I couldn't find it....

Which side of the Velcro goes on the board and which side on the pedal?
    and why?

THANKS

2. I don't think it matters.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i like to put the "hairy" part on the board, the other on the pedal.
    pure preference, but i like to be able to stick effects etc. to carpeted cab tops or cases sometimes.

4. I don't use velco, but most of the pedals I get seems to have the 'hooky' side on the bottom of the pedal, so that would put the soft side on the pedal board.

5. i agree. the more scratchy loop part should go on the pedal, as many pedalboards are covered in a"hairier" type of carpeting.

6. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i prefer the opposite, the rat fur collects debris more than the hook, so i keep it under my pedals and have the hook side on my board.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    same here. I don't have a pedal board any more, but my SansAmp BDDI still has the velcro on it from when I did. Comes in handy for just sticking it to the side of a cab or rack.

8. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    the terms are "hook" and "loop" sides.

I like the hook side on the pedal because as ryognbass noted, many commercial boards are covered in the loop side.

9. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I put the "teeth" part on the pedal and the "hairy carpet-like" part on the pedalboard.

10. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    touché :smug:

11. As a nOOb that's what I was thinking but wanted to see if there were any other compelling considerations. It seems like the idea of being able to sort of stick junk on a rat fur cab is an argument for the other way around....

12. so is the "hairy-carpet" the loop or the hook?
    I'm guessing loop because hook sounds more like teeth :)

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    As well as many commercial boards being pre-built with the loop ("carpet") side on them, it's also much easier to buy loop-side Velcro and similar products in large sheets. You can really get either in large sheets, but you'll more easily find the loop-side stuff, IME.

Plus, if you don't use hook-side Velcro on a pedal and you end up selling that pedal, it frustrates the rest of us who have to undo what you did. :p

14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posicro (pah' sih kro) n.
    The magnetic or "charged" strip of Velcro.
    antonym - Neucro (new' kro) n. The negative or "uncharged" strip of Velcro that Posicro adheres to.

(Rich Hall gets the credit for that one).

I read that many years ago and use those terms to this day
    :D